Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modem does not negotiate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahesh_jo

I have a PCI modem which installs properly but while connecting it does not negotiate. It just keeps beeping and negotiating but does not connect. Similar other modems just goes fine, i.e. line is not faulty and otherthings are also OK. What could be the problem with the modem card. Can I repair it?

-Mahesh Joshi

have u tried to connect this modem on another line?? are the drivers up to date. the PCI bus architecture is based on IRQ sharing so there are sometimes when IRQ conflicts arise. try to plug it in a different slot, maybe it will work. can u ask for a replacement of the modem? if yes then just send it to your vendor and dont think further.

and what about the other modems, was the connectivity okay? did anything serious happen to your system in the past, like sound card fried out?

repairing it might not be good for u. it will definitely void the warranty and u may end up with a dead modem. a modem is a complex device and there arent standard components in it. the chips are usually custom built. u wouldnt even know what all those things do. and all the components are tiny SM devices so working with them requires previous experience of SM devices

Modem not negotiating

Yes it installs properly. No IRQ conflict. Windows says "the device is working properly". Nothing wrong with installation. Line is also OK. Other modems are working fine.

-Mahesh Joshi

Some modems are more sensitive to line conditions, and this depends heavily on how many devices are on the line.
If you are able to dial out and the tones can be heard on the line, more than likely the modem is working.
To test this, dial your ISP, and just as the modem starts creating the tones, lift a handset close by and listen on the line for the tones.
If you hear the tones OK, try disconnecting all other devices from the line (upstairs telephone, Caller ID's, Faxes...)
Then try dial again.
Also, cable extensions can cause this, shorten the cable as close to the wall-plug as possible and retest.

Since it's a PCI modem, it may be what is know as a "host based" or software modem, with no onboard processing. These have been known to be very fussy at times, not wanting to connect. The motorola SM56 chipset was common, and I often had problems with it. Sometimes certain Internet Service Providers have equipment that just won't connect to yours. Try connecting to a FAX machine, and see if that works. Then you will know if the modem is able to connect at all.

You could try moving the modem to another PCI slot, away from any other cards that may be causing interference.

Please try what I mentioned first, it could be a simple matter.
I also remembered that some modems have problems with PABX/PBX lines. These are the ones where you must dial 9 or another number to obtain an outside line... if you have one... the modem may never work.

McQuinn has a point, it could just be line conditions. If you have a PABX ( private branch exchange ), and you need to dial 9 to get an outside line, just add 9 to the first of the number you are trying to dial, then put two or three * in to add a few seconds delay for the PABX to switch, then the number you want to dial.

You said it seems to be negotiating and doing the "handshake" but never connects. This sounds like you are getting out on the phone line, but the 2 modems can't agree on a protocol or line speed. Either they just don't like each other, or the line quality is poor. Just listening to a phone line in the handset won't tell you much, since if you can hear noise, it's often way to noisy for digital communications. The noise level or line conditions that can prevent successfull connections are sometimes well below what you can hear.

samcheetah said:
but hey guys he said that other modems work fine on the same line.

True, and this brings me back to an earlier point, some modems just dont get along. Especially software modems. Software modems are entirely reliant on the software for implementing error correction, protocol negotiation, fallback decisions, and just about all of their processing takes place outside of the physical card. If the drivers and the "shim" software are poorly written, you are stuck. these modems are nothing more than a telephone line interface, unlike true hardware modems that contain all of the processing chips, uart, datapumps, conversion chips, etc.

Maybe newer software and drivers are available for this modem?

Since other modems are working, are they the same exact model? If so, and all factors are the same, then the modem must be bad. If the other modems are not the same model, especially if comparing hardware to software modems, then we are comparing apples to oranges.

What is the model of the modem that is causing the problem, and what models are working for you?

yes ive had alot of problems with software modems in the past. the rely heavily on system resources. but they arent that bad. it all depends on the architechture and the implementation. well written software and efficient use of the chipset architechture gives good performance. and they are a bit less expensive than the ones which have a DSP on-board.

Try your modem in another place where a another modem is working. Ask a friend who has a working modem to try on your line.

It may be your phone line. ask your phone company probably they can check your line and can transfer to different circuit.
May be your voice phone is ok, and clear for voice calls but it is not goog enough to communicate with modem.

Try your phone company after checking you side.

Modem not negotiating

Thank you all guys for you kind replys.

Its a Motorola SM56 chipset modem. Finally, I think its a dead one and cannot be repaired as even we/I can diagnose what part is faulty I cannot get its replacement easily and even if it found cannot SM it.

-Mahesh Joshi

The SM56 is an older software modem, and to be honest, its one that I had nothing but trouble with any time I came accross one. Its not made anymore, even Motorola walked away from them. The internet is full of posts from people trying to get that modem to work.

Try a different software modem, but I would avoid the SM56 at all cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back