Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Model rail block detector to drive relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derekm

Hi I am a railway modeller looking for some help I work with 12v dc
I have a 12 v pcb which has a signal output to drive a open collector input which I don’t really understand

what I want to do is drive a timer relay with this pcb is it possible ?

An "open collector" output is just a transistor without any already-connected load; in effect, it works like a switch to the 0V connection (or power -).

The timer input would have to be compatible with 12V, and you connect that input between the open collector output and +12V.

It would be helpful if you could give a link to a datasheet for the timer relay, and the device with the "open collector output".

JimB

The timer relay I have has a low trigger 0 to .1 volt input and high trigger input.

You can connect the open collector output to a relay coil, then use a NO contact of the relay ( +V to com, NO to timer) to trigger your timer.
or
you can use a transistor to invert the output signal to drive the timer input.

But...we really need to see the block occupancy detector output circuit and Timer info to be sure.
Can you post part numbers?

The block detector output is via an opto-isolator.

That would probably connect directly in place of the switch/button shown in the timer diagram?

I think it should be wired this way (see below).
The Block detector output signal is normally held high(12v) via R1. When the DCC input becomes active, the Block Detector output signal will change to low(0v) and trigger the Timer Module. However, this assumes the Block Detector output is normally OFF (high).

If the Block Detector output is normally ON (low), then the wire to the Timer needs to be moved to the HL_TRIG input, so that when the output turns OFF (high), it will trigger the timer.

Whether the Block Detector output is normally ON or OFF depends on the DCC commands.

1633666816705.png

Last edited:
Whether the Block Detector output is normally ON or OFF depends on the DCC commands.
The block detector is current driven (it is wired in series with the DCC feed to the rack), so it only activates the LED in the opto when there is something (like a locomotive) drawing current in that section of the track.

Following schematic is almost the same as the board pictured above.
Block detector LED5.png

Just to clarify as finding it a little difficult to follow if it will work with timer relay and how to connect. Thanks a lot guys

Ye. As far as the bridge, resistor & optocoupler part, that's the exact setup I got from the board photo in post #6.

There is a +/-15vdc bipolar signal being received at the input (the power pack signal).
So is the bridge doing nothing?
I think the resistor is 330 ohm.

Just to clarify as finding it a little difficult to follow if it will work with timer relay and how to connect. Thanks a lot guys
Can you post a clearer photo of the back of the Detector PCB so we can see the traces please?

The block detector is current driven (it is wired in series with the DCC feed to the rack), so it only activates the LED in the opto when there is something (like a locomotive) drawing current in that section of the track.

Following schematic is almost the same as the board pictured above.
View attachment 134054

That's almost the circuit I traced out.
What is the purpose of the diode bridge?

The bridge just provides a two-diode voltage drop regardless of polarity. That sets the voltage fed to the opto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back