Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mobile phone screen weirdness...

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

My mobile (LG GM360) had an accident in my pocket involving my keys and cracked the screen. Well, I got a replacement screen off eBay, replaced it, and now it's gone strange. This is what happens:

Battery in, turn on the phone
Logo appears in middle of screen - lovely!

Animation begins and exciting music starts (well, I think it's supposed to be exciting, anyway)
This should have been an animated logo in colour in the middle of the screen - I think. What I get is the animation in spotty black and white 4 times across the top third of the screen.

Phone's gui starts. A horrible mess of what looks like it could be the screen 4 times, squashed up into the top 2 thirds of the screen, and in black and white. Digitiser is working because I can move stuff around. No idea what I'm moving around though.

Accidentally activated the camera (or at least I think I did, I'm not sure) - this caused the phone to freeze and required battery removal to switch off.

If it were a computer I'd be replacing the graphics card, but it isn't so I can't, but I'm guessing a video processing or video memory fault of some kind. My local friendly mobile phone repairer insisted that it's the new screen that's faulty (well, it /was/ cheap!) but I don't believe him.

Any suggestions, anyone? Please?

It sounds wierd. It can be the screen (the screen has its own graphics controller, to paint things), if it is not the correct version for your cellphone, you can get random things. I will probably try with the old screen and test.

Last edited:
I wish I could, but the old screen does nothing more than display a couple of coloured lines towards the edge (and some really big cracks) - no response to input to the phone at all. I don't want to have to buy another screen to test...

Is it likely that the screen's own graphics controller displays the initial logo (which is perfect)? If it does then that would explain things if the controller isn't right for the phone. I did notice the tracks in the ribbon look different, but didn't think anything of it.

I peeled open the old screen - I noticed some passive components, can't see any chips in there though.

(edit) Oooohh - broken phone lcd's are fun to take apart!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back