Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mixer (Modulator, Frequency Multiplier...whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hykwei

Hi guys

I am now building a simple synchronous detection circuit, I have now two signal generators, one generate a 20 MHz sinusoidal signal, and the other one gives a 19.99 MHz signal. If now I want to down-convert the 20 MHz signal into a 10 kHz signal, what kind of mixer (part number) can I use to achieve this kind of task?

I have been browsing the web for a long time, but at the moment I can only find a LM1496 chip (which is pretty old), I am pretty sure there are some newer and better chips which can satisfy my need

Thank you very much for ur help!

As far as I know the LM1496 is still easily available?, there may never have been a later replacement? - why try and replace something that works so well?.

I am just thinking that the age of LM1496 has been older than 10 years, there should be some improvement on the mixer chip, such as phase noise, DC drift...etc...I am now checking the Mini Circuits website...don't know whether I can find anything...

Thanks for replying!

What performance do you need?

You might look at the NE/SE602/612 family. Probably fewer external parts, and you can use the chip itself as one of your oscillators.

mneary said:
What performance do you need?

You might look at the NE/SE602/612 family. Probably fewer external parts, and you can use the chip itself as one of your oscillators.

Are those double balanced?, and for that matter are they any newer than the 1496? - I imagine they are older still?.

I made a voice encryption circuit for a teleconferencing system using an LM1496 to make suppressed carrier modulation and another one to demodulate it from two switched capacitor lowpass filter ICs and the normally-received sound was unintelligible (the frequencies are inverted) but the decoded sound was perfect.
It was 22 years ago. I still have them because the bank's head office who ordered them went bankrupt. They had everything gold plated. They were stupid. What a waste of money. (I got a bonus in my pay because my circuit worked so well).

True the 602/612 are even older than the 1496. If that's the sole selection criteria, then they wouldn't be acceptable.

I haven't used either but the 602/612 appears to be easier to use, if its spec measures up to the proposed application. OP didn't ask for double-balanced.

mneary said:
OP didn't ask for double-balanced.

No, he didn't ask, but the chip he quoted is double-balanced, and the application he wants it for looks like double-balanced would be a good idea?.

The old Plessey chips are simpler to use because they aren't as versatile, they are really intended as an RF mixer and that's it, the 1496 has many more uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back