Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Missing or incorrect device (Read id is 0x3FFF). Pic 12F683 HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurkepus

I'm trying to programm a PIC12F683 using a jdm serial programmer and PICLAB .

everything has been working uptil now .

The thing is that i can programm the cip once but i can't read ,write or erase it ..

The error message i get after the frist write is Missing or incorrect device (Read id is 0x3FFF).

I have not removed or done anything besides compiling and burning the cip once ..

I have also used picprog and the errormessage i get is value: 0xffff version: 0xffff
/dev/ttyS0:ff0002:unable to read pic device id

this is the config settings i'm using ..

__config (_INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT & _WDT_OFF & _PWRTE_OFF & _MCLRE_OFF & _CP_OFF & _IESO_OFF & _FCMEN_OFF)

ansy suggestions on how to solve the problem ??

Last edited:
Your error message signifies that you're not entering programming mode - presumably because the PIC is already running.

Are you using the MCLR pin as I/O?, if not you should enable it as MCLR, as it's stopping you accessing programming mode.

You can still access it with some programmers, but probably not the JDM (which is a poor as it gets).

oki problem solved usin picprog i had to add --reboot and then i was able to program the chip :) .. Maybe i have messed up somthing in the piclab setting .. anyway i got it to work ..

Thansk for pointing me in the right direction Nigel :)

i guess that is i s why picprog has the --reboot option .. .. the problem with piklab was a setting .. btw piclab works greate and i use it instead of Mplab X ..

Hi Lurkepus.
I've got the same problem you have solved.
Piklab was working ok to program my 12f675, until one day appeared "Missing or incorrect device (Read id is 0x3FFF)". I have tried everything but I can't go on.
You said the problem with piklab was a setting. Can you tell me exactly what to do to get rid of this error?

Thanks.

Welcome to ETO, Paccman.

Can you describe in more detail the problem you are having? Are you using a PicKit 2, PK3, or other programmer?

If it is a PK3, the setting you need to watch is the voltage when target is powered by the programmer. That programmer has a problem with that chip (and maybe others) when set to 5V. Try 4.75 volts. Note, this is NOT for the LVP mode.

John

Thanks for your replies.
I'm using a JDM serial programmer.
The strangest thing is that it was working ok three days ago. During the same piklab session, it stop working and I haven't been able to recover it.
I can't even use the Connect button in Piklab. Always this message: "Missing or incorrect device (Read id is 0x3FFF)".
I have not tested other programs yet, I'd like to continue to use Piklab. Maybe it's time to change my mind.

Thanks again.

Can you change the voltage and have you tried a lower voltage? Are you powering the target (12F683) from your programmer or from an external source?

My experience was similar to yours. Maybe it is not PicKit specific. The programmer worked well. Set everything aside for a few weeks. When I returned, it wouldn't identify the device. I was able to use a different programmer, but I now routinely set the voltage a little lower for that chip..

John

Jpanhalt, I'm not using an external power. How can I set a lower voltage?

Nigel, the error appears even without any pic on the programmer, so maybe it's not about the programming mode voltage.
When I press Connect, before any reading or writing, the error message appears.

I'll try with another old JDM (provided I can find it). I'll inform you.
Thanks for your help.

I am not familiar with your programmer. With MPLAB and PicKit, it is under: programmer>settings>power.

John

Jpanhalt, I'm not using an external power. How can I set a lower voltage?

You can't on a JDM - and the problem is almost certainly that it's already TOO low anyway.

Nigel, the error appears even without any pic on the programmer, so maybe it's not about the programming mode voltage.

It's not (as such), just that it's too low to switch to programming mode - obviously it reads the same as with no PIC fitted, because as it's not in programming mode it's effectively not there.

JDM's are truly the worst programmer out there (and were the sole reason for WinPicProg not supporting serial port programmers), they are the cause of more trouble than anything else.

I've always suspected that the JDM was purely an example of the designer 'proving how clever' he was, and was never intended to actually 'be used' :D

Hello.
My JDM keeps working and failing whenever it wants. It worked fine two days ago with picprog, but yesterday it failed again (with no changes at all in my computer).
I have found a link (http://picpgm.picprojects.net/hardware.html) where a modification in the JDM circuit is proposed. It's about adding a mosfet to control VCC. I've already got this mosfet, do you think it's worth trying it?

Finally, can you recommend a DIY USB programmer I can use it in Ubuntu? It should use a 40 pin ZIF socket (like my JDM), so that I could program different size PICs.

Thanks.

Yesterday I was testing my JDM in Windows and icprog. It worked fine, no problem with my programmer.
It only fails in Ubuntu and Piklab/Picprog. Maybe Ubuntu doesn't manage well the serial port.
I could test Piklab in Windows. If it failed, I could put the blame on Piklab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back