Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mismatched load problem for EMC course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesmi

Hello,

I'm taking a course on electromagnetic compatability and having trouble with one of the homework problems. The instructor does not collect any of the homework so this is not a for credit assignment. The book also gives the answer to the problem, I just can't seem to get the same answer. The instructor doesn't answer questions during class and unfortunately I cant make his office hours. I can contact him by email, but I thought I might try here first.

Heres the problem from the book "Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility" by Clayton R. Paul.

1.17 A 50 ohm oscillator is attached to the high-impedance input of an oscilloscope (Cin = 47pF, Rin= 1Mohm). The source is tuned to 100Mhz and the level set to -30dBm. Determine the voltage level (peak) of the sinusoid seen on the oscilloscope face.

Answer given in book: 11.22 mV

My approach based an example in the book:

The source assumes a 50 ohm load, so first I determined the open circuit voltage of the source.

Vout = sqrt(50*Pout) = sqrt(50*.000001) = .007071 Vrms
Voc = 2*Vout = .01414 Vrms
Vocpeak = 1.414*Voc = .019997 Vpeak

I then determined the input impedance of the load.

Xc = 1/(2*pi*f*c) = 1/(2*pi*100E6*47E-12) = 33.86 ohms

This is in parrallel with the 1Mohm, which doesn't change value to this precision.

The voltage seen at the scope could then be calculated by using a voltage divider.

Vscope = Vocpeak * 33.86/(33.86+50) = .00807 Vpeak = 8.07 mVpeak

I also tried calculating the open circuit voltage using the power of -30dBm going into a 33.86 ohm load and a 83.86 ohm load, but that doesn't help either.

Can anyone give me an idea of where I am going wrong?

Thanks,
Jamey

Ahhh...Of course.

It's been a couple semesters since I had a circuits course. I haven't had to use AC analysis techniques sense. I knew it was probably something pretty silly I was doing wrong. I wish I would of asked a little sooner for help, I've tried doing this problem a few seperate times. After redoing the problem I got the correct answer.

Vpeak = 0.019997*33.86/sqrt(50^2+33.86^2)=.011214Vpeak
or about 11.2 mV, which is close enough considering I did some rounding.
I left out the phase shift, because the problem didn't require it.

I appreciate the help FRIED.

Thanks,
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back