Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mirror frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

A bandpass signal with a bandwidth Bs is transmitted using a given frequency fc.

The modulated signal is received by the following receiver:

**broken link removed**
(*LNA = Low-Noise Amplifier).
(LO generates A*cos(ωH*t) where ωH = ωC + ωIF).

They said in the notebook that this receiver is not good since it doesnt filter the mirror frequency fr

**broken link removed**

What I dont get is where does this mirror frequency come from?

I'd be happy if you could explain it to me.

Thank you.

Last edited:
hi,
The LO/Mixer produces the sum and difference frequencies of the IF frequency.
Look here:
Image frequency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Eric.

Genreally, we would tune the frequency of the LO's output signal to fc + fIF.
Therefore, the input frequencies of the mixer are fc (frequency of input signal) and fc+fIF (frequency of LO's output signal).

Thereupon, the mixer's output would contain 2 frequqencies: fIF and 2fc + fIF.
Is 2fc + fIF the mirror frequency that we would want to filter?

Moreover, they said in the link you attached that:
Sensitivity to the image frequency can be minimised only by (a) a tunable filter that precedes the mixer...

How can we filter the mirror frequency before it was created?

Everybody else says it is an image frequency, not a "mirror" frequency.

Everybody else says it is an image frequency, not a "mirror" frequency.
Yeah you're right.
However, you can call it in both terms:
The unwanted frequency is called the image of the wanted frequency, alternatively the mirror frequency
*Wikipedia.

I dont understand how is the image frequency eliminated before it is created by the mixer.

Yeah you're right.
However, you can call it in both terms:
*Wikipedia.

I dont understand how is the image frequency eliminated before it is created by the mixer.

hi,
Its not eliminated.
Consider that Ithe ntermediate Frequency [IF] transformers are tuned to one of the LO/Mixer frequency outputs , example 465kHz, this would ,mean the other LO/Mixer freq would not be within the bandwidth/freq response of the IF amplifiers..
OK.?

EDIT:
Look at this
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hi Eric.

Thank you very much for the link.
I'll firstly read the tutorial in the link and will reply to you once I finished reading it.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back