Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

minimal insulation resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordError

what is the minimal insulation resistance should a motor run? is there any formula for this one? depending on the voltage source i think? let say for 480V motor what would be the minimal insulation resistance it should run safely?

thanks.. n cheersss!!!

marcus

Insulation is not rated for "resistance" except in some exotic applications and laboratory procedures.
Insulation is rated for breakdown voltage. Obviously an insulation over 480V is required for a 480V line. With higher temp operations (as you would see in a motor), or high frequency, or otherwise tough environment, you will need to get a significantly higher voltage rating.

With a 1000V Insulation Resistance Tester (IRT/Megger) an acceptable reading is above 1 megohm. However in practice, it is normally much higher than that - IMHO if you have 1 megohm insulation resistance, there is a pending problem.

thanks

thank you phasor for your words. it seemed i have a problem with my 250KW sea water pump motor. it has a 1 MOHM insulation. what i did is put lamps around the motor to heat it up, maybe mists causes the downfall of the reading as the motor stands for a while due to delayed PMS activities.

anyway thanks for the info. keep it

cheeersss to you !!!!!!

marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back