Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Miniature Jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
If standard 0.1" jumpers are out of the question, how can a DIP switch work? It's huge in comparison.

You need to spend more time scrapping out hard drives and interface cards on computers to scavange them for juicy parts. They do make smaller jumpers for smaller pins ... 2 or 3mm seems to be what I've seen ... and they're common on a lot of computer components. Trouble is, so much of computer circuitry is reverting to total software control that jumpers are becoming a thing of the past, so you have to stick with computers made in the 1990s.

Dean

Sorry I should have been more clear.

A 0.1 inch jumper is too big because it is so tall. Low profile metric dip switches are much better but as you say they take up alot of room, especially a 4 way.

I have a couple of ancient computers here, I will take a look inside them when i get chance.

Thanks for your input,
John

I've seen shorter jumpers for the 0.1" format in computers and have several of them. Rather than being "capped" on the end, they're are open all the way through and will work easily with shorter pins. Is this a situation where you're going to have to change jumper settings often enough to warrant removable jumpers jover square pins vs. simply soldering in a few wire jumpers, or better yet, clipping open the pre-installed wire jumpers you don't need?

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back