Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mini usb trace and pad broken HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman24

I am trying to fix my son's kindle fire USB plug. It quit working and when I opened it up I found that all of the pads had come loose and two were broken.

I have a new plug to solder in but as you can see two of the five pads are ripped off.
I was thinking I could just run a wire jumper from the plug to were these two runs go like I have in the picture in yellow.

But here is the big question. see the second picture. On the under side of the pcb in line were these two ripped pads are there are two small black squares. I dont know what these are. Do you think these are hooked up to the pads going through the board? If they are how would I fix that? Can I just run jumpers to these as well and solder a wire to the little bit of solder I can see on the sides of these little squares?

Or do you think just running the two jumpers like I said in the beginning would be enough to fix this like in the first picture.

Any tip or help would be great.
Thanks

Attachments

• pads.jpg
    pads.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 439
  • underside.jpg
    underside.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Could I run a wire to the resistors on the bottom?
If so what would be the best way to solder it to them?
I was thinking I could solder the wire to the little bit of solder I can see on one of the ends of the resistor.
Do you think this would work or is there a better way?

Yes they do run from the side of the first pic, to the opposite side(second pic with the resistors on it) connecting them.

Yeah sure you can try to solder a wire from the resistor to the top.

Let us know how it goes :)

Well I got the usb plug soldered on and got it so it is charging the kindle again.
I need to order some smaller wire to make the jumpers for the data.
But at least my son can use it again until I get some wire.

I'm a little late. Copper foil tape is available from stained glass parts suppliers including ebay. I'd even send you a length some if your in the US. It is self-adhesive, but I'd probably epoxy the foil.

Wire wrap wire is used a lot in making PCB repair connections.

So wireman24, how did it go?

I am trying a similar repair (Kindle Fire) first time worked for a few days, then came loose again. I need to direct wire the charge pins this time, I guess. Any body got a a trace diagram worked out? This one is a bit burned to trace back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back