Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Miller Solar engine + Joule Thief

Status
Not open for further replies.

special_k

Hi I am new to the forums. I do not know exactly how to post this problem.
I had this nagging idea that I think would work. I read Make magazine and have built a lot of those projects. I was wondering if I could combine two projects. A symet and a joule thief. I have tried putting the joule thief before the capacitors after the capacitors.. Before the FLED still no luck.
The reason I want to do this is because the Symet only really moves in midday sunlight and is inactive through the other parts of the day.

Attachments

• SE_FLED.gif
    SE_FLED.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 779
  • joule7.jpg
    joule7.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 956
Try just the solar panel?

If nothing try to put it where the motor is. Take the motor out.

I I tried that the motor will not turn. I think it is because the Joule thief circuit produces pulses of energy (50,000 or so a second). The solar cell only produces 2v so not have enough to turn the motor.
I also tried to have the Joule thief charge some capacitors. It doesn't charge them enough for the FLED activate and turn the motor.
Getting rid of the motor would kill the symet, it is supposed to move around in sunlight.

On the other hand if you rectify the Joule thief output and filter by say 4.7uF/64V capacitor, the reultant DC would turn a motor connected with a limiting resistor in series.

You do realize that the Joule thief raises the voltage, but you sacrifice current. Works fine for LEDs, 15-30mA is plenty. A pager motor might need a little more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back