Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Mil spec" connectors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntypeman

Hi all...

I'm looking for a "Mil spec" style round connector & socket... The plug must be an elbow and also be upwards of 20 pins...

Does any kind soul know where I might obtain one cheaply??? I don't mind if it's used / second hand by the way...

Thanks in advance...

Eric

Just keep an eye on ebay, there are hundreds of them on there..

You are not likely to get one particularly cheap though; the cheapest I can find is about $50 for a pair of 26 way inserts.

You need a size 16 angled backshell to go with the plug; the connectors themselves are the same, just the shell styles vary.

They also seem to sell for $30+
This is the only one I can find at present.

Not cheap but a fraction of the price from normal distributers.

You may have better luck on ebay USA?

Search "mil connector 16-26" for the plug and socket, or "mil backshell size 16" for the shells.
There are other size combinations but 16-26 seems to be commonest..

We only use 3, 4 and 7 pin ones - and the prices are crazy!.

Mostly, one of our customers provides them to us for their orders, as they are a larger company and buy in much higher numbers. We're quite happy to just charge for fitting their own plugs :D

However, they aren't very competent at supplying the plugs - it's common for the supply of plugs to be short, or even sometimes over - if it's over we just keep them ready for the next order, and use them if the supply is short. It all works out in the end.

Thanks guys...

What is meant by the 16-26 reference???

I came across these fitted to buses as an apprentice many many years ago, and was told by my boss at the time that they were military connectors... They were normally found on the gearbox "ecu" and associated wiring looms...

I had no idea that they were so complicated / varied...!!!

Eric

What is meant by the 16-26 reference?
16 is the body size, 26 is number of pins; eg. the same body size & backshell could be used with inserts that have a lot of small signal contacts or a few high power contacts.

(Or mixed contacts, just to confuse it more.. some combination of pin sizes & even coax inserts).

There are many other far cheaper types, but without knowing the application I don't know what to suggest.

There are many other far cheaper types, but without knowing the application I don't know what to suggest.
I only need a low voltage application but need to pass 20ish wires from an LCD display to an arduino... i know there's other options but want it to look like the thing I'm working on which is this:

Screenshot_20220611-123703_Google.jpg

and this is my (unfinished) effort so far:

20220703_085857.jpg

Eric

OK, I can't think of any other option than keep searching ebay, sorry..
New ones from electronics suppliers are definitely more expensive - even the similar size plastic shell versions, as you have to buy the crimp pin and socket inserts at typically £1+ each!

There used to be places selling military surplus & salvage electronics at ludicrously low prices, but they seem to have either closed down or moved over to more mass-market type gear like clothing & tents etc.

Thanks Ron (& everyone else who has replied), most interesting... Still finding it a bit of a minefield though...!!!

Eric
It is - my 'boss' orders the connectors by phone from Hub, and usually speaks to the same lady - and she knows exactly what he wants from his description (Radcom and Technolog), Radcom use 4 pin, and Technolog use 3 pin. Another manufacturer (that we also make leads to fit) uses a 7 pin version.

Thanks Ron (& everyone else who has replied), most interesting... Still finding it a bit of a minefield though...!!!

Eric
I can feel your pain on this. Years ago I just went to a catalog which was well illustrated. Connectors like you are looking for had part numbers which identified the connectors. Each section of a part number gave you information to include things like pin size for current carrying capabilities, types of solder cup or crimp. The list goes on. Today browsing online I am not finding that information. Been over 10 years since I bought connectors.

Be still my heart, I found an explanation breakdown.

The link is a brief overview but you should get the idea. We used primarily Canon and Amphenol connectors.

Ron

We used primarily Canon and Amphenol connectors.

The problem may be his asking/looking for "mil spec". Not all of that type connector (Apmphenol) will be mil spec. Using that term alone will mean the price is going to be much higher. If that spec isn't necessary why pay the extra money? Stuff like amplifiers and sound gear also use Amphenol connectors.

The problem may be his asking/looking for "mil spec". Not all of that type connector (Apmphenol) will be mil spec. Using that term alone will mean the price is going to be much higher. If that spec isn't necessary why pay the extra money? Stuff like amplifiers and sound gear also use Amphenol connectors.
I agree. They call out Mil-Spec so I aim for Mil-Spec. Absolutely and actually in many of these things the MS in the part number designates Mil-Spec. Oh yes, calling out Mil-Spec really increases cost and quite a bit. Unless there is a compliance reason to call out MS then the same connector design can be had for a much lower cost. Yes, I agree Amphenol and Cannon both manufacture a line of connectors at lower cost lacking the Mil-Spec labeling.

Ron

I have a large collection of new and salvaged MS connectors, unfortunately I do not have the matched pairs, IOW the female or male end would need to be ordered/obtained.
For e.g., I have both male and female 24pin bulkhead fittings. and some insert bodies that are 37 pins.

I have a few mating pairs scattered around. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back