Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mikroeletronika dsPIC boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
I'm thinking of finally getting a development board for the dsPIC because I'm somewhat sick of having to make PCBs every time (which also greatly delays and shortens the amount of time that I can spend messing around with it). I'm also about to start something where it's gonna cost me a lot of money in parts if it gets botched.

I was thinking of the dsPIC PRO board since it has all the CAN and RS485 stuff I'd like built on. The only problem is it's a 30F board and not a 33F board. THeir 33F board doesn't have the RS485 or CAN. But, it's more to do with how I use 30Fs on "modules" and "motor drivers" while I use 33Fs on computational stuff so I'd need multiple boards if I wanted it for all the processors I use (some of which don't realy have boards like the SMPS 30Fs).

A big 30F is probably the best middle road thing anyways between a 33F and a 28 pin 30F if I had to go with one for prototyping. The main difference for me is the DMA on the 33F (and maybe the 10/12-bit capable ADC) and the SMPS PWM module + comparator/DAC on the smaller specialized 30Fs like the 2020. Anyone have opinions on these boards? I've been looking at their stuff for a long time and really like it but have never actually bought anything. I haven't been able to find another company that even comes close.

Oh, and making my own is out of the question...way faster and cheaper for me to just buy one. I'd prefer to spend that time on money for the final PCB. I would get...carried away...if I was making my own. I just prefer to build projects rather than tools for projects.

PLus they have these cute little connectors that plug between their dev board and a breadboard. Sounds silly, but I've spent hours and hours and hours fumbling around with connectors and jury rigging them because the proper, well made, reliable ones were not available. THen I end up wondering if the persisting problem is due to the connector or not (which is even worse when you built the connector to debug something in the first place). And THEN it ends up falling apart at the end of the day, so I must repeat the process all over again. It's happened at home, at school, and at work. It's the worst part of hardware debugging for me. THe connectors, crimp housings or crimp pins that you need are never the ones you have.

Last edited:
Hi,

Have a little experience of a friends EasyPic4 board that may apply to their dspic boards.

While generally good for the points you make, there are some limitations.
When running in debugger mode, it must be from Mikroe C
The lcd is on PortD and has to be rewired by the edge connectors if you want to use it elsewhere.

Worth checking on prices, shipping costs, availability/time of the main board and accessories you need from both the US agent and direct from the factory in Europe

I don't have any experience of the MicroE boards as I have always been put off by the non standard ICD interface. Does anyone know if the MicroE ICD can be used from within MPLAB?

Mike.

MicroICD work ONLY with their own compiler and IDE. And i heard it's pretty slow :(

BUT EasyDSPIC 4, DsPICPRO 3 and BigdsPIC boards comes with the ICD2 connector.

I like their board and their plug-in modules. I have EasyPIC 4, EasyDsPIC 4.

There's no free lunch.. you must deal with their hardware assignment or.. once again add some plug-in module. They have one for GLCD and LCD... a bit tedious to set-up all those jumpers.. but...
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I got mine from Circuit-ED in USA.

Last edited:
I thought the boards had an ICD2 connector? I have an ICD2 and was never planning to use the MikroICD.

I don't think it's that big of a deal if you want to use the LCD on other pins other than port D...after all, you can't expect them to make it so you can wire everything to everywhere!

EDIT: Oh, I see, not all their boards have an ICD2 connector. But the ones I am interested in do.

I have a question...
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

THe manufacturer website says the graphic LCD isn't included, but Circuit-ED says it is?

Last edited:
dknguyen said:
I thought the boards had an ICD2 connector? I have an ICD2 and was never planning to use the MikroICD.

I don't think it's that big of a deal if you want to use the LCD on other pins other than port D...after all, you can't expect them to make it so you can wire everything to everywhere!

EDIT: Oh, I see, not all their boards have an ICD2 connector. But the ones I am interested in do.

I have a question...
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

THe manufacturer website says the graphic LCD isn't included, but Circuit-ED says it is?
Then I'd order from circuit ed! I still think that is way too much for this board, though.
Mikro reminds me of Microsoft; they seem like they want to manipulate, and force you into using all of their products, which seem NOT to play well with anyone else's products.

I was looking for a link to a board I got in Korea, but it seems the company has changed, and stopped producing these. (They are now doing something similar to Mikro.) :( Anyway, the thing was around 50 bux, and came with a 4.000000 MHz canned oscillator, 8 push buttons, 8 slide switches, 8 LEDs with resistors built in, piezo, a 24lc04 EEPROM, a ds1302 - includes watch crystal, a ds 1620, and sockets for 8, 18, 20, 28 skinny, and 40 pin DIPs, as well as a small (45cm x 80 cm) bread board. All of the peripherals have IDC connector strips so that you can plug wires in, like on a bread board. I'm thinking of R.E.ing this one, as it is a really nice board.

Edit: I almost forgot: max232, and all the HW for that, and 4 high quality linear pots.

Last edited:
Huh, yeah. Circuit ED does sell the dsPIC Pro 3 with the graphic LCD for the same price that Mikroe does without it.

Now do I realy need a touchscreen? Otherwise I would have to wait probably until the touchscreen thing is built into the board so I don't need to run an touchscreen adapter cable to the pinouts on the edge the board.

I probably don't...but it's so cool lol. I may need to make a little board though to swap the power pins around so you can plug an RC servo into it since the way the power pins are paired right now and not linearly adjacent to any other pins makes it impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back