Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MikroC - coding 18F series PIC question

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerfeet

Hi all,

I am about to move over to MikroC PRO 2010 for coding the PIC 18F4550. Are there any limitations in the way the code is written as the 18F doesn't have the code size limitations of the paged 16F series. I always understood that the compiler took care of paging for the 16F series only to discover that it doesn't.

I am going for MikroC only because it has libraries to get you up an going quickly although I read that the CCS compiler is better and more efficient at compiling....but does that matter so much now that RAM is much bigger on the 18F's. I understand that if code requires critical timing then you can't beat ASM.

I ask about coding limitations simply because I am used to high level languages like VB where routine sizes don't really matter and overflowing the stack is really a problem. That is why I would like to code in C for the 18F's; debugging much much quicker as it producing code. I fear that I will try coding in large linear steps and find that I spend more time optimising than I would coding in ASM.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated before I buy it.

Many thanks,
Andrew

PS...I hope you understand my question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back