Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Migrating to USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchris

Hello dear forumists :)

I am thinking of migrating to USA, as things here in Greece are getting direr every day.

So, my question to you how already live in the states, or have migrated in the past.

What is a good salary?
Any hidden expenses?
Things to look out for?

Any tips in general?

TIA.

EDIT:
forgot to mention I work in the IT sector.

@Nigel: I guess it is..

Last edited:
Just go onto a few websites, and you'll find an advert for a green card that says "live and work in the USA - CLICK FOR MORE"
so try that, its like so easy!

Our INS (now ICE) can be very difficult to work with. There are many options to consider. Some of the options depend on what skills you have and the need for them in the US. For example, if there is a specific job opening and no American applies for it, but you have the requisite skills, getting a work permit or green card can be easier. Such jobs place a particular onus on the employer, and many will not do that for you.

The only reliable advice I can give is to consult an immigration attorney, before you come to the US, unless you are only coming as a tourist. If you are here as a tourist, you might find that attorney here. Some visa types, e.g., student visa's, can limit your future options.

As for salaries, you should expect typical American salaries, which can be found in professional publications related to your field.

Traps? Yes. See an attorney. Our immigration bureaucrats can be extraordinarily inflexible for legal immigrants.

Taxes? Your income in the US will be subject to American taxes. You may want to find out if any of it would be taxed in Greece too.

John

Thanks for the reply John.

I believe there is not a chance on Earth to find a job opening that an American cannot fill.
I am not that skilled...

I do believe however, that there is a chance, no matter how remote, some employer to support my migration.
I don't know, I am still testing the waters.

After all, it is a big decision.

i would have thought with the current financle turmoil in the states with all the cuts that look like coming into effect, Greece might be the better option! as they say better the DEVIL you know

Have you considered other countries here in Europe?

Lots of different places and no problems with immigration.

Or maybe Australia?
I think that their economy is not doing too badly.
The immigration may not be too bad if you have good skills to offer.

JimB

The first thing I would do is waltz myself to the nearest embasy (of country of joice) and get their hand-out! Worked for me coming, from Germany to Canada! E

hi

"According to the "Henley Visa Restrictions Index 2011" holders of a Greek passport can visit 166 countries visa-free or visa-on-arrival"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Greek_citizens

"Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano announced March 9, 2010 Greece’s designation as a member of the Visa Waiver Program. Greek citizens are able to visit the United States without visas since April 5, 2010."

**broken link removed**

these details might be helpful to you.

visiting is one thing, staying and being able to work is another.

I migrated several times and lived in different countries. getting to US was not easy but once there, getting a job was surprisingly easy (arrived, bought car, sent resume to 7 companies, got 7 invitations for an interview - all within 4 days). wish it was easy like that when I came to Canada.

Getting drivers license was another surprise, it costed all $7 (and that is after you pass, those that fail can just turn around and try again - it's free). the whole experience took only 30min including line-up, written test, eye exam and drive test, taking photo. in half an hour i walked out with a driver's license in my pocket. in comparison same experience in Europe used to cost some 2k and took several weeks and tons of paper. plus you get to wait for license until it arrives in mail. in both places one could buy (or see some people driving) cars that cost about the same as drivers license. ;)
in general you must have a car or you can't get around as public transit is usually very poor.

note, whatever you do or apply for, you will need multiple pieces of picture ID and most places are unprepared to even consider a passport as they have never seen one (other than American one of course). so i'd say getting drivers license and whatever else you can come up with (and fast) is a priority. it can be fishing and hunting license (even if you never fish or hunt - it is an ID ;) nobody cares). to locals it will be more familiar/credible sight than any foreign documents you could provide.

next thing to keep in mind is that starting fresh means going through hurdle of building credit history, your previous scores don't mean squat so be prepared for some frustration.

if you have little kids (or plant to have some) you will find that having no relative nearby can be problematic. once they grow up, things are much easier.

also keep in mind that while it is a free country, there are places to be avoided so even though wast majority of people are very friendly, always be aware of your surroundings. there are places referred to as bad areas (things in movies are not as exaggerated as they my look to a foreigner).

When I came to the USA I found taxes to be surprisingly low. The country does not give you much but does not ask much.
(Public transportation, health care, welfare, etc)
I believe this is changing.
I would like "free health care" again but I don't want 50% tax. Nothing is free even if some one else pays for it.

Thank you all for your replies.

@panic_mode: sorry mate, I accidentally clicked on the "Vote no" instead of ""Vote yes". Great info. Appreciated.

So, my qualifications are from OEMs (Oracle, SUN, EMC etc) so I guess they should count for something. Alas no PHDs, Master's and such...

I have read the docs you recommend, the ones on the US embassy site and I know that migrating is challenging to say the least.
I do believe though, that US is more just, meaning that, if you 're prepared to work hard, you'll be rewarded. Whereas in Europe, this is not so true.

Australia is forbidden for me, due to age restrictions :(

As for the rest of the Europe, I could stand the climate. Born and breed under the Attica sun, makes it difficult to migrate to the Netherlands for example.

Again thank you all for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back