Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

midi saxophone

Status
Not open for further replies.

flat5

A friend who is a professional saxophonist and runs a woodwind repair shop wants to alter a saxophone to also produce a midi output. Not use a Lyricon or other electronic wind instrument.

He has no electronics background and has envisioned very small switches on all the "keys" and a piezo element on the neck just below the mouthpiece.

The switch signals would go to a micro controller to determine the note being played. The piezo sensor would determine when a note plays and how loud.

My thinking is the switching will be a nightmare to design and keep in regulation. Even finding suitable switches may be a big problem.

I have suggested using a dynamic microphone suspended and shock mounted over the bell of the sax and using a micro controller to do all the work.

Would a micro controller be fast enough determining the frequency and loudness of a note to do the job?
I'm not suggesting it will be that simple. There will be other problems.

Anyone have something to say? please?

No, unless you know different. He does not want a toy or a midi synthesizer using a sax "keyboard".
He has good reasons for using a real playing saxophone but I can't go into those reasons.

First I would like to know if a micro controller can do what is required fast enough.

How can I make it clearer? We don't want a synth. We have to adapt a saxophone.

Will a micro controller work fast enough if a conditioned analog signal is presented to it to output a midi signal pretty much right away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back