Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

midi help

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-3-2-4

I'm soon to start this project if I can understand it.. it involves using this midi cpu device, but what I can't understand is I want to use a 3 position switch to send control change parameters 82, 83 & 68

the device is here

**broken link removed**

and I was reading the firmware manual and if I read right it changes the control change by way of different resistance values? So in that case my switch would also need resistors on it?

Looks like a fun piece of kit! I was just glancing through the firmware manual to find these parameters you refer to - I'm seeing a lot of hex codes in there but not something that looks like what you mention. Could you provide a page reference please? Are you referring to the control change messages in section 10.1, page 50?

If you are connecting the switch to any of the potentiometer inputs, then yes, your switch would need resistors on it. If it's connecting to switch inputs, then no, it doesn't, you just need it wired to create the correct code.

Looks like a fun piece of kit! I was just glancing through the firmware manual to find these parameters you refer to - I'm seeing a lot of hex codes in there but not something that looks like what you mention. Could you provide a page reference please? Are you referring to the control change messages in section 10.1, page 50?

If you are connecting the switch to any of the potentiometer inputs, then yes, your switch would need resistors on it. If it's connecting to switch inputs, then no, it doesn't, you just need it wired to create the correct code.

Yeah I just found out about it yesterday and it seems just what I would need to make a midi switch! and you are indeed right on page 50 section 10.1 is what had me confused, I don't understand how you you tell it which CC number to send on a switch change? Assuming I wire the switch to the control part of the pcb.

here is what the switch would look like

**broken link removed**

In my case I need 2 CC #'s 1 & 68

Am I correct in thinking the 68 you refer to is 68h, Analogue Continuous Note Start, referred to on page 17?

If it is, then as far as I can see it's part of a SysEx message which would contain some other instructions as well - hence the d0 and d1 reference. It's really confusing - even more so for me who knows hardly anything about midi!

Okay I've read it a bit more now. As far as I can understand, if we are talking about the same code here, you need to embed it in a sysex message to configure whichever input you want to perform that function - then your switch won't need any resistors to turn the functions on and off.

I'm guessing you know enough to be able to put together the sysex messages to configure the inputs and actually send them to the device... I don't see it in the manual...

I hate to say it but I think you need to read the manual really carefully!. It would help to know exactly what you intend to end up with here, too.

yeah this is going to take a bunch of figuring out since this is my first time trying to figure out the midi coding part

Hmm doing a bit more searching last night this one seems to be the better one.. and if I looked at the page and documents right it can be programmed really easy with the program software.

**broken link removed**

Looks like a much easier device to start out with! Still curious to know what you are building. Good luck :)

So I've had my kit for 24 hr and I picked up the switch local today but one issue I did not notice, it has IDC connectors listed 1-16. well those would be the CC# most of my work (if not all) will be just on CC#1 however for CC#1 I need values of 0, 42 & 127.

The most logical way is to use a trim pot but here is where I'm a little confused... I have a test pot on it now set to a value of 42.. Now to get my other numbers I set them but I'm a bit confused on which leg to connect to what? If I touch the switch to the wiper I get my value of 42, so how would I go about with the other 2 trim pots?

You can see I'm using the analog headers here

http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Brain_Jr

If i'm thinking right each trimpot would get +/- but each switch position would give me a different value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back