Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microwave oven just died...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
First, this thing is older then most of the forum members, so not overly concerned about actual repair, but can't hurt (hopefully) to take a look. I've had it for 17-18 years, and it was old and well used when I got it. It's small and simple, just turn the dial and it start (well use to...). Few years ago, it stopped timing. Anyway, I heard a sound like the electric can opener, lasted only a second or so. The can opener is plugged into the same outlet, and worked, so not a power issue.

Anyway, figured I'd let it set for a while, then see if if it magically fixed itself (doubtful, never failed before). Kind of like to get a few saftey tips before opening it up to see W.T.F. , mostly just curious what killed it, but if it's something fixable with parts on hand likely will. Been meaning to get a newer one for years, just this one worked well, and modern digital appliancees seem to expire shortly after the warranty...

Yes, I know that there are dangerous high voltages, huge capacitors, large transformers can store a charge like a capacitor, don't plug it in with the cover off, ect... I hate getting shocked, and overly caution in risky situations. Just looking for a little insight into what I can expect see, and how best to discharge the capacitor(s), don't think the screwdriver method would be the best choice. The pop from a strobe cap is about my limit on discharge...

It could be a number of things.

Bad megnetron.
A bad rectifier.
A shorted turn in the transformer (unlikely).

The rectifier is pretty easy to test but a standard multimeter diode test function won't work, a 12V supply and a small car instrument panel light bulb should do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back