Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microstrip advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi All:

I purchased one of these items..note attached PDF wit all details. Proceeded to break the PCB due to a yanked cable and was in the process of recalculating the 'impedance' of the microstrip for 1.6mm FR4.

I realized that it adds up to several hundred ohms.
My question is this...why would a 50 ohm RF signal require a several hundred ohm microstrip (to couple some signal to a detector) and then connect to another 50 ohm output? See Note 4 on page 11.

PS: i asked the author...he does not know.

Attachments

• 015-0282-00 hEAD Substitute.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 515
Last edited:
Those microstrip impedance values shown in Note 4 are transmission line impedances.
They don't add together.
Ideally they should be all the same but there is some mismatch between them (apparently not enough to cause a problem).

Do you understand what the characteristic impedance of a transmission line is?

I was treating them as lumped element, but that's a wrong approach.
I have to do some more learning in this regard.
I think the stepped impedance.is deliberate to create some kind of Low pass arrangement, otherwise just make a single 50 Ohm microstrip for lowest VSWR and be done.
I am working on figuring it out. I am going to do some empirical VNA tests as well, I have a new PCB from the PDF to work with . Sometimes learning works better by doing.

I think that this may be a case of "over thinking" the problem.

The highest frequency involved here is about 1000MHz, wavelength is 30cm.
What are the line lengths involved here, 1cm maximum?

I think that this is going to have little effect on the signal.
Did Tektronix even design these as microstrip or are they just traces on a piece of exotic circuit material?

JimB

Yes, the squiggle on the FR4 board is an inductor, and is there to replace a straight trace on the ceramic(?) original.

I am just questioning whether there was any impedance matching or filtering designed in to the Tektronix original.

JimB

It is matched to replace a squiggle on the original , both stepped impedance and phase delay. It's length is adjusted for the different propagation/permittivity of FR4 vs Alumina. The designer of the substitute said he just duplicated the functionality without finding out why it's there. As I am only 3 months into RF (IoT motivated) I have a lot to do in the fundamentals and so here I am.

I gather the following:
Since the peak Freq is 1 Ghz the microstrip is well below 1/4 wavelength resonance and can be considered an inductor and not a tx line. VSWR then is not as significant.
A series inductor is a choke/LP pass filter, presumably to knock down harmonic spurs.

What makes this complicated for me is figuring out what is the inductance of this design.
Can you help with that?

I found this interesting:
https://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Microstrip_Stripline_CPW_Design/Microstrip_Stripline_and_CPW_Design.pdf

Edit:
using coil32 freeware I calc'd the individual inductor steps and came up with 7nH total for the original TEk strip and 9nH for the substitute. Thus it seems from a lumped element perspective the substitute is somewhat incorrect. From a tx line perspective (which appears invalid at the Frq range) the impedances and phase are correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back