Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microsoft Outlook & attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

I have Adobe Acrobat 4.0 and Adobe Reader 7.0 installed.

When I receive an email with a .pdf attachment, if I open it from Outlook, it calls up Adobe Acrobat 4.0 which has a grid behind the text making it hard to read.

I looked at the Outlook options to see if I could make it use Adobe Reader 7.0 instead, but can't find anything. I also looked in Control Panel but no luck either.

Could someone please advise me. Any advice will be appreciated.

Is their any advantage to having both Adobe Acrobat 4.0 and Adobe Reader 7.0 installed? Or, do you still use Adobe Acrobat 4.0?

If you don't need Adobe Acrobat 4.0 you could uninstall it (Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs).

This could fix the problem, but I can't guarantee it.

Also, if you right click on the attachment and click open with, you should be able to select Adobe Acrobat 7.0.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I need both.

The Reader is just that, ie. it can read only, but Acrobat enables me to insert pages into .pdf docs and also to delete pages. For example, if I have several .pdf docs, I can combine them into one, etc.

Oh no, multiple versions of the same program installed on a Windows system are never a good thing.

I don't use MS Outlook at home I normally use Thunderbird but isn't there an option to right click and select "open with"? Then you can manually browse for the correct binary in the Program Files directory and select it.

Thanks you that did the trick.

However, it was in File not in Edit.

I could not find a Display Transparency Grid option so I did it by increasing the grid size to 1000 pt.

In Windows Explorer

Select 'Tools' from the menu Bar.
Then select 'Folder Options' from the drop down menu

Click on the 'File Types' Tab at the top of the window
Navigate to and select the PDF extension in the 'Registered File Types' Box

Select the 'Change' button
Then select the program you want to use in the normal way from the box that appears.

Thanks for the response.

I followed your procedure but when I pressed the "Change" button, the only option available was the Adobe Acrobat 4.0.

However, the previous suggestion has allowed me to alter the grid so the text is now readable.

ljcox said:
I followed your procedure but when I pressed the "Change" button, the only option available was the Adobe Acrobat 4.0.

If you click Advanced, you should be able to choose Acrobat Reader 7 as the default association for pdf files.

Thanks, I did that but could not find Adobe Reader.

I did not know what to do next.

See the attached screen print.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
What about updating to Acrobat Reader 8 first? :) This might fix your problems?

A workaround might be to have Acrobat Reader running before opening pdf attachments to e-mails.. they should open in Reader.

If that doesn't solve the problem, I would try to change the file association manually (click "open" and "Edit...", then look for Reader in your computer, but the command line contains additional settings and I don't really remember what they mean!)

Hi len,
You need both acrobat reader and adobe reader in your system is that right?

acrobat reader for editing and adobe reader for just viewing is that right?

when you click a pdf file it must open in the adobe reader is that right?but now its opening in the acrobat reader in your system.
even though you change your file types.

all you have to do is

1) Locate the acrobat reader folder not the adobe reader (right click - find target)
2) You will find this exe there - AcroRd32
3) Rename it to AcroRd32-1
4) Locate the folder options & see the file types in the windows explorer.
5) Click the PDF icon and click the change button
6) Browse & give the path AcroRd32 (in the adobe/ acrobat/reader)
7) If you want to view from adobe acrobat then give the renamed path AcroRd32-1.

Now tell the progress..........anymore computer problems???:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back