Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microscope Camera -- New Toy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
Years ago (1998), I used a Nikon CoolPix for macro imagining. That camera is now past its prime, and I now use a Canon camera for most things but am disappointed with its close-up capabilities.

I just received an Andonstar "2MP USB microscope camera." If you pick an auction carefully, prices tend to be from about $38 to $46 with free shipping from a site in California. After ordering it, I came across a review by Dave at EEVBLOG (https://www.eevblog.com/2014/01/07/eevblog-566-cheap-usb-microscope-reviews/ ). He was quite positive about it -- the thin silver one with the adjustable focus on the camera and stand.

Simply put, I am not disappointed so far. Still can't snap a single image, but for my purposes, a screen capture works. Here is an image of an old and dusty PCB I made several years ago:
upload_2015-8-14_12-38-45.png

You can even go to higher magnification with good focus. Of course, you lose some depth of field, but the images are still quite clear. Just wanted to pass along some personal experience. I have no relationship with the company whatsoever and have been intentionally vague about the vendor for that reason.

John

Hi John

Have a look at the pic .. have you got a little box like that approx 12 inches from camera ?
The button on the side should take a still pic .. ..

S

Attachments

• Micro Cam 1.JPG
    Micro Cam 1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 302
Yes, I do have the LED intensity control and button. I just haven't played with it much. Let me add, the software must be downloaded and unzipped. I checked it with AVAST and did a Google search and found no reports of virus, spyware, or pup's being included in it.

John

Hi John

Yes, I bought one of those cameras a while ago, I use it a lot. It's great for getting into all those little places .. .. my software came on a disc with the camera, did you not get ?

S

I discovered only the old cheap Webcams have a manual focus ring with a good lens for focusing to 0 length. The modern ones with HD and autofocus cant.
This enabled me to zoom on a small feature of stamps or coins and fill the screen. Good lighting is very important.

Cool, I have a real nice microscope my wife bought for me some time ago for a birthday present. It is a lab quality scope for micro-biology use. I look at blood cells and 1 cell organisms with it. I always wished I could photograph some of the things I see with it. I will have to check that camera out.

Oh wait, that is a microscope/camera, I need an adapter for my SLR camera and my microscope.

If want to photograph with the microscope your wife got you, there is an easy way to do that. Since you say it is lab quality, I assume it is binocular. If you remove one of the eyepieces, you can use almost any camera that will focus relatively closely to capture images. I had a CoolPix 900 and just used a piece of plastic water pipe for my adapter. Had to play with the focus a little, but it was not too hard to get it adjusted. The camera lens was about 1" or so from the end of the optical tube. You can also use a tripod. With your SLR, getting the focus right should be very simple.

John

I adapted a camera to my telescope that way and it works just great. Looking at the night sky on my monitor without kinks in my neck!
I would love to have on of these microscopes, but their magnification is from 50x to 800x, way to high. I would like it to be 10x to 50x but do not know enough about optics to make a change. Any suggestions? E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back