Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microphones static. What gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briantrey

Hi,

There something I don't understand about something. I have this microphone, when I plug it into the line in, on my computer, I get a lot of static. But mysteriously, if I would to, put my fingers on the ground lead, the static will go away and it will be very clear. I really do not understand this. There must be a solution to this problem. Hopefully a simple one. This is like this with all my microphones. Would you think that this would have something to do with phantom power? Maybe I would need a phantom power preamp? But I rather not go for that solution right now. Maybe some kind of resistor, since the skin acts like a resistor?

P.S I also have tried reversing the leads, but actually the static gets worse.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

There are a number of problems here, for a start the fault description isn't very helpful?.

Secondly you don't give any indication of what type of microphone it might be?.

Thirdly, you say you're plugging the micophone into the line input, NOT the microphone input - the line input won't have anywhere near enough gain.

Touching a lead which should be grounded shouldn't make any difference, so perhaps the lead isn't grounded? - is your computer grounded?.

Mike inputs on computers do seem very poor though, I have heard it suggested that it's because they copy the original Soundblaster card mike input?, which was supposedly intended for a carbon mike?.

Its a REG Desktop mic, and a Traditional vocalist microphone.

Now that you bring it up. My PC is connected to a power strip and the power strip is connected to an adapter to bypass the 3rd grounded plug. But I would not think that would have anything to do with it. Would it?

My mic is preamped so I can get better sound into the line-in. The Mic in does not have enough amplification for my larger microphone. But, for my desktop microphone I go through the microphone line in Jack.

I split my wires so I can put a new connector on the end so it can go into my PC. so, the ground is exposed. and with the desktop mic I have taken of the top cap and pulled out the mic receiver to examine for any problems, and as I touched it the static went away. As there is a metal plate on the mic receiver that is grounded. This is how I found out that by touching the ground the static goes away.

Hope this clears it up abit.

Thanks,
Brian

Re: ..

Briantrey said:
Now that you bring it up. My PC is connected to a power strip and the power strip is connected to an adapter to bypass the 3rd grounded plug. But I would not think that would have anything to do with it. Would it?

If it's not grounded the screen is floating, so it's not really screening anything. Things that come with 3 core cable MUST be grounded (they are class 1 devices), 2 core cable appliances are class 2 devices, and don't require grounding.

Ok, I think its my PC not grounded right. I pluged it in the right pulg in the wall. but did not help. My screen has a waving look to it when I'm playing sound. I think something is not grouned. Alwell. nothing I can do.

I know it my PC. I plug in my mic using my good amp, and its supers crisp and clear on speakers, but when I go into the PC theres the same staic.

Thanks for the help, nothing I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back