Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microphone output to headphones from laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

eheale

Hi guys

I have bought a headphone splitter so that 2 pairs of headphones can hear the music I play on my laptop (only have 1 jack on laptop for headphones).

But I have a microphone on my set of headphones and although I can record on Audacity via the laptop, the sound doesn't come out of either microphones. I want the other person next to me to hear my voice through her headphones.

Any ideas around this?

Many thanks

Emily

Yes the microphone is always on i.e. there is no on/off. It must be on for it to record on audacity. I can see from numerous other forums people have the same problem but I haven't yet found out the answer.

The headphones splitter does not have wiring for a microphone.
If you want sound into the microphone to come out of the headphones than you need an input connector for the microphone that connects it to the mic input of the computer, then use software to play it into the headphones.

Thank you for your reply. I was sold a separate splitter for the microphone, a mono one, I wasn't using the same one as the headphone splitter.

Anyway the input connector you have mentioned. I'm not sure what that looks like - do you have a link to a photo of it? (I'm the UK and there is a shop called Maplin which sells most of these things but I can't find it on their website).

Also what is the name of the software you mentioned?

Thank you

Last edited:
Something like this .

Attachments

• spliter.jpg
    spliter.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 310
thank you - I'm not sure why there is 2 inputs into the connector you've shown. Do I put a microphone in one and leave the other empty? I have already bought the below product (link) and that doesn't work.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=1169[/IMG]

and the software mentioned - do you know what that's called? Thank you

Last edited:
The Maplin splitter is to give the same mono output to two sets of headphones. Since it is mono then only one ear of stereo headphones will work.

The picture of the stereo headphones splitter takes the headphones output of a computer and has two outputs for two sets of stereo headphones.

Both splitters have nothing to do with the separate microphone input on a computer.

We don't know if the microphone input on your computer is wired for mono or for stereo.
We don't know how the output plug of your microphone is wired.

Nobody feeds a microphone in and has headphones out so you will need to write your own software to do it.

If you can feed the mic into the PC you can just enable microphone boost and it will replay back out the speakers.

If you can feed the mic into the PC you can just enable microphone boost and it will replay back out the speakers.
Then you will have acoustical feedback howling.

I do not know why he wants to hear the mic on his headphones.

Hiya

Thanks for all your replies. I am a she not a he (for the last post) :)

I want to listen to it immediately because I'm using it for my job - the person next to me with headphones on needs to be listening to what I'm saying. I have a special mixing system but it's picking up mobile phone interference which is why I'm looking to use my laptop.

Anyway I worked it out after a while of searching on net - it was that I hadn't ticked the Software playthrough button. New problem is the bad echo which means I can't use it for immediate playback anyway.

I've downloaded Recordpad but I can't get that to play immediate playthrough anyway!

Look through the audio mixer software carefully. Somewhere hidden you may find the option to turn off echo. I had this problem once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back