Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microphone LED Vu tower schematic recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

singed5059

I have the tower portion built and am wondering what schematic is best for it. I have looked around and people keep referencing the following instructable:

https://www.instructables.com/files/orig/FX5/67GS/FLROK12R/FX567GSFLROK12R.gif

Even the tower that mine is based off of said that is what he followed. Here is a link to what I want mine to look like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lASJL47g-Bc

I am worried about whether this will supply enough juice to the LED in each of the ten panels of frosted plexiglass. I have searched the forums and have found a bunch of schematics for Vu meters, but I believe most were for smaller scale displays. So anyone know of a schematic that has been applied to a larger scale VU?

View attachment 61663

I am worried about whether this will supply enough juice to the LED in each of the ten panels of frosted plexiglass
I doubt that Instructable circuit will do the job as is, although it could be the basis for your schematic. How many LEDs per panel? What is the LED current/voltage spec?

I just want one pretty high output led per panel. I am pretty novice but since the forum has dealt with lots of lm3916 threads I was hoping someone had an idea. I imagine in my case I would want to go AC so that i can do a wall plug in for energy requirements of bright leds. I just cant recognize a schematic on my own that would meet demands

You can use almost any LM3916 schematic you find.
The lm3916 can use a supply up to 25 volts.
You can use many LEDs in series to get more light. The supply voltage needs to be mores than 2 volts above the LED voltage. Example: if you have 1.5volt red LEDs, then 10 LEDs need 15 volts to work therefore a supply voltage of 20 volts will work fine. This way you have 10 times the light.

The Instructable was designed by a little kid who knows nothing about electronics:
1) The output current to the LEDs is determined by the resistance from pin7 to ground. Use 470 ohms for a current of 25mA.
2) Pin8 should be connected to ground without R4.
3) The LM386 amplifier is a power amp. It should be an opamp.
4) R5 and R3 form a volume control with a very small adjustment range. Use a real volume control instead.
5) An important supply bypass capacitor is missing.

You asked the same question in another forum. Got some good answers, just like these here. Build something. There are no shortcuts! E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back