Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjn566

maybe im out of my league being here, but it seems every thread i read, the first solution is a microcontroller. they must be pretty handy, but where does one get a microcontroller and how would i use it?

Last edited:
I've used one of the Basic Stamp microprocessor modules from Parallax Home for my first µP project. The modules are programmable in the Basic language, which is probably the easiest programming language to learn, and are relatively easy to design with. For more on Basic programming you can Google for Basic Language Tutorials such as **broken link removed**.

Microprocessors are used any time you want to perform a sequence of tasks. It can be simple, like counting to 10 and turning on a light, or more complex, like guiding a robot through a maze. The complexity of the task you can do is mainly determined by your ability to write a program for the µP to do the desired functions. and of course, how powerful a µP you have.

In my design it turned on an LED illuminator for various periods of time and intensity as controlled by a keypad input, and drove an LCD display module to indicate the state of the unit.

Hi,

The main advantage to using a micro controller is that you can do
so much with only *one* ic chip. You can build some quite
sophisticated circuits using only one single ic chip, where you could
use as many as 100 or more ic chips to do the same thing without
a micro controller.
Also, as the micro controller chips are getting faster and with more built in
functions and peripherals the applications for these guys are increasing
too so they are being used in more and more equipment.

If you are looking to build some interesting circuits then use any kind
of technology you want, but if you are looking to build some VERY
interesting circuits then you definitely want to look into micro controllers.
Startup costs can be as low as 40 dollars US for a programmer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back