Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller turning off at random

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris414

I'm sure it's a simple thing, but what could the reason be for my microcontroller (PIC18F2550) randomly turning on and off? It seems to happen every time i touch one of the rails which makes me think its something to do with the supply voltage...? I'm using an ATX power supply from a computer with LM317 voltage regulator.

Is there not an "enable" pin that I'm missing out?

Last edited:
Do you have every pin connected to something? If you have floating pins, they can change state due to the electrical interference from you hand.

Schematic?

Or no bypass caps. I've learned that lesson but we can only speculate since the OP hasn't posted his circuit.

reset pin floating.
any pin that can cause an interupt floading.
You OSC may not be stable.

Floating input pins alone for normal inputs will NOT cause resets. Not unless there's a piece of code which will do something funky and cause a reset when there's a 1 or 0 on one of those pins.

Low Voltage Programming enabled and leaving the LVP pins floating will. Had that prob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back