Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller Solutions for Railway crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

micropad

Dear All,

There are unbelievable railway an accident is happening in our country, final the accident was recorded last week. 8 school children were died and 11 children ware injured when their van collided with a train at a level crossing.The research was en counted that main reason for accident is unprotected railway crossings

As a solution The Government announced to the public to collect ideas find low cost solutions for above matter

So I would like to request to this forum partners give your valuable ideas on micro controller base solutions to address above problem

Your contribution on this regard is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
What country is this?

My low cost solution is a STOP -sign on every unprotected crossin. Stop, look to your right, then left, then right again. If the road is clear.. cross. You also need to educate people (drivers).

Government and low cost, that's an oxymoron. Crossing gates? Better training for school bus drivers.

This sounds like a school project.

Last edited:
What country is this?

My low cost solution is a STOP -sign on every unprotected crossin. Stop, look to your right, then left, then right again. If the road is clear.. cross. You also need to educate people (drivers).

Be nice if it worked - but the kind of idiots who get killed on these crossings simply ignore the flashing lights and drive round the barriers.

train-lorry-accident.jpg

it is not ethical to shows more pictures and country

this is really not a school project

This is a kind of project to protect children from idiot drivers

What country is this?

Any reply not a foolish reply

How about your county manage this problem

Be nice if it worked - but the kind of idiots who get killed on these crossings simply ignore the flashing lights and drive round the barriers.

Yes your are very correct
This is very sensitive incident if some one face the problem personally

How ever I respect to every reply

Any reply not a foolish reply

How about your county manage this problem

hi micro,

Sadly the UK still has accidents at railway level crossings

The bottom line is that pedestrians and drivers try to beat the crossing gates despite all the warnings, technology and CCTV camera's.

We have a lot media information trying to educate and warn us of the dangers, but many still think it will not happen to them, but it does.:confused:

I dont think any technology will stop people from taking chances.

E

You may find this interesting.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...ZZJ9NPG5A&sig2=_6TBxXWOeOF-lLpZO2CAAQ&cad=rja

hi micro,

Sadly the UK still has accidents at railway level crossings

The bottom line is that pedestrians and drivers try to beat the crossing gates despite all the warnings, technology and CCTV camera's.

We have a lot media information trying to educate and warn us of the dangers, but many still think it will not happen to them, but it does.:confused:

I dont think any technology will stop people from taking chances.

E

You may find this interesting.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...ZZJ9NPG5A&sig2=_6TBxXWOeOF-lLpZO2CAAQ&cad=rja

Yes your are correct. our government also did some TV program and educated drivers by media

But still it is happening
Last week I was driving motor bike with my 8 yeas old son to school. before 500m to railway crossing one school van passed us and when we come to the railway crossing 8 of them died in front of me.

some one should be joke this but me????????????

Thank You

some one should be joke this but me????????????

Nobody is not joking. It is a serious thing..But I don't think there is a "microcontroller solution". Why is the Government crying out for people to come up for solution? You say that the problem is the unprotected railway crossings.. so why not make them protected?

And when you took 8 year-old to school on the bike, were you sensible enough to wear properly sized helmets, leather pants and jackets (you have no idea how unforgiving pavement is on bare skin!)? Did the kid have foot-pegs or was he just dangling there, hanging on to your loose fluttering shirt?
Just asking. It is sad when a group of people die, but just as sad to a family, when one dies, prematurely! E

Nobody is not joking. It is a serious thing..But I don't think there is a "microcontroller solution". Why is the Government crying out for people to come up for solution? You say that the problem is the unprotected railway crossings.. so why not make them protected?

Ye your are correct

As per the subject Minister there are 198 unprotected railway crossing are identified. Last week they fixed the solution for that location where accident happened spending money 35,000$
I thinks that i way the reason they announced to the public

Actually it is not necessary in micro controller solution. I thought that mind. they would request most appropriate solution to implement. "foolproof solution"

Last edited:
And when you took 8 year-old to school on the bike, were you sensible enough to wear properly sized helmets, leather pants and jackets (you have no idea how unforgiving pavement is on bare skin!)? Did the kid have foot-pegs or was he just dangling there, hanging on to your loose fluttering shirt?
Just asking. It is sad when a group of people die, but just as sad to a family, when one dies, prematurely! E

Your suggestions are good
But most average people never practices such high protection method. Most of Mother and Fathers try to put there son to school, what is available transport system because they have to go to the job

I read about a system that was proposed for the US, but everybody is balking about the costs. The real problem is that in order to work ALL of the trains using the tracks must be equipped. It may have been in a professional publication such as Intech.

In one aspect of the system, the system is to know the position of every train no matter where it is. A tunnel, where cell service is not available etc. So, it does not rely on a single technology.

One such system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBICAB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_train_stop

**broken link removed**

These are not the product that I read about. Most of them are local. The US and others needs a global product were everyone is using the same technology. Trains need the equlivelent of an Air traffic Controller as well for each region.

It might use the cell towers, or land transmission or RF to a very local receiver/transmitter.

You do have to let the system control the trains and it as to be as foolproof as possible.

You might employ track obstacle detection at the crossings.

The tracks generally need to be elevated over roads if at all possible.

Signaling is also integrated into the system.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to prevent someone from following the tracks for a shortcut, but collisions based on conditions and stupid stuff all require for one to know where the trains are at all times. A transponder for trains rather than aircraft.

There is te added complexity of transmission and detection and signals and crossings.

Is this in Pakistan?

As far as detecting a train passing a point on the tracks, there it no need to have the train equipped with any antenna or other device. The train is a large metal mass and can be detected using a number of passive methods, e.g. via induction, changing magnetic field, strain/pressure/contact detector, etc. A low power transmitter can then send a signal to the crossroads (some 700m away) to signal a flashing light and audible alert.

It could all be done for very little cost in parts; installation and maintenance could also be very little in the places that could use it e.g. India, Pakistan, etc. There would be obvious problems if the device becomes unreliable or ineffective, especially if commuters rely solely on the device rather than looking each way before crossing.

Hello all

I am no authority....
However...having worked in R&D for a major Railway
Crossing protection provider for many years, I can say with confidence
Technology IS NOT the problem. Electronic Crossing protection devices
are extremely sophisticated and failsafe in design. While no system is perfect,
these systems come pretty darn close. I'd say 99% of the time accidents
are caused by human error. Someone driving around gates, trying to beat
the train, etc.

Is this in Pakistan?

The train is a large metal mass and can be detected using a number of passive methods, e.g. via induction, changing magnetic field, a

Dear Thanks for the reply and advice

Would you please advice on more, how the changing magnetic field generates while train travel and what are accurate sensors that we can monitor the changing magnetic field
What are the other available sensor that we can identify that train pass more wisely

Please advice
Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back