Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller Internal Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

akahrim

Hello All,

I am currently playing with an Atmel Attiny84 uC. I am reading the ADC and using the internal 1.1V reference. I have a few questions regarding the 1.1V reference.

1) Does 1.1 ref depend on the operating voltage? The uC can run from 1.8-5.5V. Is it typically a constant 1.1V reference across the entire operating voltage range or does it change slightly with the operating voltage?

2)What circuitry is used to generate that 1.1V reference internally? I did not see this in the manual .

I have attached the manual in case it helps.

Attachments

• ATtiny24A44A84A.pdf
    9.2 MB · Views: 374
hi,
1. The Int Vref is ~1.1V over the full Vs supply range to the MCU.

2. Its derived from an Internal 'Band Gap' device.

E

The data sheet says that the reference is not very accurate and can be anywhere from 1 to 1.2V (see page 177).

Most of micro-controller's ADC Reference voltage control the ADC result resolution actually step size

Last edited:
Most of micro-controller's ADC Reference voltage control the ADC result resolution actually step size

I agree, if the internal Vref range 1.0v thru 1.2v, the ADC will resolve correctly to the bit step/count.
This is why I replied to the OP.
The Int Vref is ~1.1V over the full Vs supply range to the MCU.
E

You can easily measure the internal reference. Just set the operating voltage as reference voltage and measure the internal reference with ADC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back