Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller interfacing with an I/O card

Status
Not open for further replies.

William56

For this industrial electronics project I have I have to interface a computers digital outputs from a microcontroller to an I/O card using potter and brumfield modules. The problem I am encoutering is that I can't change the digital output voltage to a negative properly im running it into 741 set as an inverter, the digital high works as planned but when it is supposed to be a low voltage it still sends out the -5 voltage to the I/O card turning it on, any ideas would be appreciated.

For this industrial electronics project I have I have to interface a computers digital outputs from a microcontroller to an I/O card using potter and brumfield modules. The problem I am encoutering is that I can't change the digital output voltage to a negative properly im running it into 741 set as an inverter, the digital high works as planned but when it is supposed to be a low voltage it still sends out the -5 voltage to the I/O card turning it on, any ideas would be appreciated.

Are these the modules you are using?
https://relays.tycoelectronics.com/datasheets/IAC_DS.pdf
(The same devices come four to a package, with a "Q" somewhere in the part-number: the remarks below apply, but with different pin #s)

What is needed is to apply a voltage on pins 3 and 4, with pin # positive WRT pin 4. The voltage is usually in the part-number: "OAC24" is an AC-output that needs 24 Volts and "ODC5" is a DC-output that takes 5V input. The source must be able to supply at least 10 mA.

There are two ways to activate the module:
1 Connect pin 4 to ground and apply a positive voltage to pin 3
2 Connect pin 3 to the supply and pull pin 4 down to ground (usually an open-collector transistor.)

These output modules are often mounted on a PC-board that carries 4,8,16 or 24 modules: these have all "pin-3"s connected together so that method [2] above must be used. here's an example:
https://lgrws01.grayhill.com/web1/images/ProductImages/IO_Racks_8_Channel.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back