Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microcontroller - FPGA or ASIC or neither?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincent_vega

I'm thoroughly confused about what categories microcontrollers and microprocessors fit into -- FPGA or ASIC or a separate category on their own?

I'd like some insight into this issue.
Thanks,
- V

You question covers a lot of ground. In broad terms:

A microprocessor is a computer processor on a chip. This is the CPU and possibly a math processor and some cache. You will find these on a PC motherboard.

A microcontroller is a microprocessor + memory + IO systems on a chip. Think of it as a ready to use computer on a chip.

For the rest see:
Application-specific integrated circuit

vincent_vega said:
I'm thoroughly confused about what categories microcontrollers and microprocessors fit into -- FPGA or ASIC or a separate category on their own?

I'd like some insight into this issue.
Thanks,
- V

Micros would be a category in and of themselves. However some companies do offer ASIC devices that include a standard micro able to be intergrated with other custom functions . Not sure if FPGA could easily be used to implement a microprocessor. Think of ASIC and FPGA as a way for a company to build there own custom intergrated circuits while a micro-processsor chip as a general purpose IC.

Yes, FPGAs and ASICs (and CPLDs) are in a categories of their own, separate from microcontrollers, microprocessors and from each other. THe former are "designed" or "programmed" from a hardware persepctive while the latter are programmed from a software perspective.

An FPGA is reconfigurable hardware and so can be used to simulate the functions of different ASICs, microprocessors, microcontrollers, and CPLDs (depending on how you look at it)...at increased cost and sacrifice of certain performance characterstics however...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back