Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller for torrent downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

kay_niv

hello everyone..
i'm think'ng of using a microcontroller for keeping torrent downloads
i'e UC: acts as processor
memory: USB pendrives
so that there will be no neeed of burning ur PC just for keeping it to transfer data...
got it... give me further ideas regarding this ideas.....

This would be a very difficult task to do. You need to interface a ethernet controller to the microcontroller and then rewrite the torrent software. You would also have to interface it to some physical storage - all in all probably not worth doing.

instead of microcontroller think microprocessor, like the Samsung / Intel ARM series. Build yourself an embedded computer, sounds like a great school project. There's something called the Gumstix which is a cheap embedded computer - it runs linux so you could train it to download torrents.

You can buy hard drive enclosures which download torrents for you, just plug them into the ethernet or sit them somewhere with free wifi and away they go.

Maybe find a cheap used/broken laptop and use that. Will give you almost the same thing.

Gregmcc is very right in his answer.

You need ethernet, USB interface, probably extra RAM. And torrent code on the uC.

I back justDIY's suggestion. It often goes by the name "single board computer". People have already done the lion's share of the work in getting Linux to run on them (Windows would be much harder, and difficult to justify WHY you'd want to do that). Then you could just install a Linux BT client and let it run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back