Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller controlling own power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmillard

I am working on an application with a PIC24 and EEPROM. I'd like to be able to turn it off (more than just sleep) since it won't be used for long periods of time. The problem is that I don't want to turn it off during the middle of an EEPROM write.

I thought about an N-Channel MOSFET across the power switch (switch in ground leg) controlled by an output port. I can control the MOSFET, but as soon as power goes away, the output pin floats enough to keep the power switch on.

How is this kind of thing usually done? Solid state relay? Some other way?

Thanks!

There was a thread on here about this about 3 months ago...

Use Google's Advanced Search mode to search just this domain name. The built-in search here sucks.

I tend to agree on the current usage...

...as long as the device stays sleeping. I'm more worried about a button being hit when or held down when not in use (it can't always just sit on a shelf) so I want to make sure it doesn't wake up.

Thanks!

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back