Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microcontrolers and linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashersmasher

alright i have a problem. my new mobo has no serial or parallel ports. in order to program my ps2 and my new pics i need to use an old p1 rig i dug up (all my good unused pc bits got ebay'd). is there software for dsPics and basic stamps that has been ported to linux? i ask as i only have an oem copy of xp and it's not worth $75 to get another.

ok kools! off topic you know that feel of quality chips where it feels cold to the touch and has the consistency of rock instead of plastic? that's exactly how these Pics feel. i think i fell in love.

blueroomelectronics said:
They feel like every other modern IC to me, now the old ceramic ICs were cool.
I have a few oldies too.
old_chips_sm.jpg
Ordered these when I was a clueless newb. I've never programmed them. Guess I should play with em someday.

dknguyen said:
THat's not safe, they contain lead.

It's a completely pointless fear - there's no danger from lead in solder, even if you're soldering with it every day - never mind any microscopic amount that might be on tinned pins - but most of the ceramic chips had gold plated pins anyway, headers inside are spot welded, so no solder?.

Does anyone know what the point of the large pieces of copper welded to the ICs is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back