Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip wants to buy Atmel !

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrv

Hi All,

what do you think ? Perhaps a chance for the end of the PIC/AVR wars (if they succeed with the takeover of course).

**broken link removed**

Petr

Why would you jump to that conclusion? The acquirer would want to service the installed base for 2.3 billion. Shutting it down would make no sense at all.

Why would you jump to that conclusion? The acquirer would want to service the installed base for 2.3 billion. Shutting it down would make no sense at all.
You would think so, and I hope so, but it does not always go that way.
Even if Microchips intentions are good the way things play out may be bad.

Competition is good. :)

Last edited:
Sounds more like Microchip is a little scared of the restructuring of Atmel. Got a hunch they'll be getting a polite 'no' response. I think the restructuring was intended for growth, not desperation. Some rough times are expected, doubt Atmel is hurting enough to even consider selling.

Sounds more like Microchip is a little scared of the restructuring of Atmel. Got a hunch they'll be getting a polite 'no' response. I think the restructuring was intended for growth, not desperation. Some rough times are expected, doubt Atmel is hurting enough to even consider selling.

Atmel already said no once but Microchip is proceeding anyway. They are still talking but if Atmel has enough public traded shares we may see a hostile takeover.

Kinda makes me sad when this sort of thing happens. Reminds me of the time Ericsson bought out a few division from my last company. Many layoffs ensued...

I think Microchip is worried that Atmel's restructuring will be successful, and they will lose more of the market. Atmel is strong and solid, doubt the shareholders are going to sell out on a good thing. Hopefully, Microchip's desperation will be obvious enough to put a quick end to this.

Yes I agree it looks like they attempting hostile takeover. If that does happen maybe we won't see the results immediately but I'd expect some convergerence of technologies later (of course they will not stop Atmel production, I never said such a thing), but this is not guaranteed - I work myself for a big software company that acquired quite a lot of smaller companies so I know that the integration of acquired companies is not a simple and fast process. I think at least integration of the development tools could be very nice, though I am a Microchip user (I have some AVRs in my drawer but I am using Microchip MCUs for my projects) I have to admit AVR Studio has much better GUI, MPLAB is usable but there is a lot to improve there.

I love how the letter from MicroChip to Atmel is carefully worded to make it sound like "You're going down due to your own incompetence unless we buy you out and fix you", while also very clearly indicating the threat of a hostile takeover.

At least at the beginning, they'd sell parts of Atmel to ON and ditch the ASIC division entirely (they claim to already be talking to a potential buyer).

I hope this doesn't happen. I also think that the competition is a good thing.

Torben

With Atmel trading at 5 points a share they must be in trouble. I always thought they were a pretty strong company, but it seems that the market is rough for everyone.

Atmel

I currently work for Atmel and we can just about expect their to be a layoff at the begining of the year. Yeah their technology is great, but honestly there are people that need to be layed off because they make $20 plus per hour for doing nothing.

Last edited:

Their stocks have been down for quite sometime being on the inside and people have lost a lot of money

With Atmel trading at 5 points a share they must be in trouble. I always thought they were a pretty strong company, but it seems that the market is rough for everyone.

Those with stones would be long Atmel and short Microchip whilst praying for the deal to go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back