Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip vs atmel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh Andrew,
If your still stuck for a programmer I can pre-load a bootloader into a 16f87xA or 16f88 and post it to you. That way all you need is a RS232 chip and a few other items and you can be programming straight away. If you want me to do this for you just PM me your address and I can do it this weekend for you.

Cheers Bryan

bryan1 said:
Eh Andrew,
If your still stuck for a programmer I can pre-load a bootloader into a 16f87xA or 16f88 and post it to you. That way all you need is a RS232 chip and a few other items and you can be programming straight away. If you want me to do this for you just PM me your address and I can do it this weekend for you.

Cheers Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Thanks, but no thanks.

I am about to build a programmer for my end of year project (the rest of the class is building a dodgy car immobaliser). It was meant to be free choice, but most of the class cant read resistor values even with a colour chart under their noses so the teacher gave them the kits, but I was allowed to make a programmer.

The one Im making is here https://www.oshonsoft.com/picprog.html, hopefully I'll be etching the board on friday, and will probably complete it on monday.

Thankyou for the offer anyway.
Andrew

simrantogether said:
Moreover, world's second most powerful super computer is made by Indians...

It's name is " parma padam".. ahead of USA.. of which supercomputer is third powerful in world... BEHIND US...

Though we people are a bit less in money that we cannot buy some good equipments... but we have knowledge.. far better than any other ...SIMRAN

Indias 1 teraflop supercomputer is not even in the worlds top 10.
http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=221960
IBMs Bluegene/L a 208 teraflop computer is slightly faster
http://www.top500.org/lists/2007/06

Nice boast though :)

Gayan Soyza said:
:D
For a great programmer no any comparison! he knows how to tackle from minimum sources available in a microcontroller.

Best answer I've heard to this question.

Any other answer sounds like "my micro is bigger than your micro."

simrantogether said:
well sir.. it depends on you believe it or not.. i can only say it..
Show us a link to your info. Indias supercomputer must have a web site or info somewhere. Does it use an 8051?:rolleyes:

Ahh found the link to PARAM Padma (248 processors) and it's from 2003, still nowhere near as powerful as NEC (5200 processors) or IBM supercomputers (65000 processors)
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
And some fun facts bout the trains
**broken link removed**

Aren't the Indian trains still running on the old Raj Victorian English system? - which makes them a damn sight better than the junk UK rail system! :p

Sceadwian said:
A hobbyist will be best served chosing one and only one chip to get really good at rather than splitting the very different.

Proficiency does not imply dependency. If one choses so, one should become good in all choses period. Its lame to because super great at 16F84A and ignore all other 16F.... the the obviouse reason. This holds true for differences in Manufactures given the the components serve the same purpose.

Better to get that "Manufacturer" mentality out the head before stagnation settles in.

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin said:
Aren't the Indian trains still running on the old Raj Victorian English system? - which makes them a damn sight better than the junk UK rail system! :p

I'm sure the UK death rate on the trains is lower than in India (5513 in 2003). I took the GO train to the EX (Toronto fairgrounds) and it's a plesant and on time experience.

blueroomelectronics said:
I'm sure the UK death rate on the trains is lower than in India (5513 in 2003). I took the GO train to the EX (Toronto fairgrounds) and it's a plesant and on time experience.

The death rate might be a lot lower, but that could be because you can't find a running train to throw yourself under! :p

simrantogether said:
i beg my pardon....

now.. please stop... well, noone likes to listen anything against hi/her country..

You appear to be over sensitive?, no one has been criticising your country, yet you appeared to take offence to my observation that almost all posts about the antique 8051 series seem to come from India and Pakistan. You might consider that a 'criticisam'?, but it's simply a statement of fact!.

here in the boondocks of the Philippines, it is hard to find microcontrollers ( unless you have that extra money to buy online) so i have to use what is available, and having tried some i have few wishes for them:D

Microchip 16Fs: a single working register works fine it's the banking and paging i am not comfortable with, compiler cost, i am having difficulty doing floating point arithmetic in assembly.:rolleyes:

Atmel ATmega: it's better if the 32 working registers can accept immediate values and any of them can be used as pointer:D

AT89Cxx51: I need ADC sometimes.

Zilog z8: Lacks peripherals, knowledge of some protocols (I2C, UART,..) required for bit banging.

Zilog Encore: internal EEPROM, i have not tried EEPROM emulation, i use its I2C

they all have one thing in common, they are fun to work with, my design job is easier than ever:D

penoy_balut said:
Microchip 16Fs: a single working register works fine it's the banking and paging i am not comfortable with, compiler cost, i am having difficulty doing floating point arithmetic in assembly.:rolleyes:

Check the PICList and EPE site, these both have working floating point code, be aware that the original MicroChip floating point application note is flawed!.

I have been using the AVR family of uCs for many years now and unless I am mistaken, there is no free or public domain Basic compiler for AVRs. The Bascom compiler by MCS Elec is just $40 and well worth the money...completely stable, frequently updated, very well supported. I must agree with dratomic though on the shear power and available code base for the 8051. It may be more than you need for openers but worth looking at if you can run the resident basic image.

MosFetMan
Currently building a Piggy Back Sensor "Modifier" for Engine Control Units:
Atmega128-16

RVKBASIC is free up to 200 lines of code. After that you can spend $25 for it. I will look at the MCS Elec one if they have a demo.

But in my eyes, that is free. If I need more that 200 lines, I am probably making money on a project and will buy (like I did) RVKBASIC.

mramos1 said:
RVKBASIC is free up to 200 lines of code. After that you can spend $25 for it. I will look at the MCS Elec one if they have a demo.

But in my eyes, that is free. If I need more that 200 lines, I am probably making money on a project and will buy (like I did) RVKBASIC.

BASCOM's free demo is only limited to 4k of code. Not sure if that refers to pre or post compiled, hex file, or MCU flash. Most everything I've done fits in 1k, no problem. I just started BASCOM about a month ago, but seems to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back