Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip Samples?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried calling your local / regional Microchip sales office and asking for samples? Last time the website said "unavailable", I called the sales office in Chicago, talked with a sales engineer, and had samples on the way in minutes.

They dont ship to Pakistan anyways so thats not much of big problem and the ones which are sold here are sold for a hefty profit for e.g a 16f628a costs around 4USD and the 18f2550 costs around 12USD!!The second one is a huge problem is there any website that sells ICs etc in Pakistan so i can get them cheaper?

you cant even sign up for samples unless you have some special email. Like university email or some bussiness email. At least thats what i read on the page and when i tried to sign up it told me sorry because of my email address.

As far as I'm aware you just need a real email address, and not a toy one - no hotmail rubbish or similar.

Maybe they are just seeing how long it takes for the Ebay auctions for items like "Pack of 3 x 18F4520" to vanish .......

Oh no. If shipping is to be charged then those ordering excessive samples will feel less guilt because they actually paid for something :rolleyes: Would this lead to an increase of sample orders of more expensive chips, and in the end costs Microchip more?
P.S. In the place I live, they send a big package (few kilograms) by fedex to the local office for distribution, is this method used in other places?

I would suspect that the cost of shipping samples is 100x the cost of manufacturing them. This could be the reason why they will be charging for shipping in the future.

Sample system in place for Asia/North America ... ( rest being put in place )
A test indicates a $7.50 processing fee ... I only added 2 items x 3 each and this cost remained the same. Seems reasonable, I never attempted checkout. I guess you may have to pay this fee by credit card, which will cut out a lot of high school kids and those of us who won't or can't obtain one.
AND THOSE EBAY CREEPS!

Last edited:
Sample system in place for Asia/North America ... ( rest being put in place )
A test indicates a $7.50 processing fee ... I only added 2 items x 3 each and this cost remained the same. Seems reasonable, I never attempted checkout. I guess you may have to pay this fee by credit card, which will cut out a lot of high school kids and those of us who won't or can't obtain one.
AND THOSE EBAY CREEPS!

Sounds like they put some thought into the new policy. Should cut down on the number of freeloaders tremendously. From what I've read in the past, even $2.38 is too much for most to pay for a chip... Having to pay something, will mean that they'll have accurate identification, and know who and how often people sample, and who actually makes purchases later. Hope people realize that if samples do generally lead to purchases, there will be no more samples. The numbers won't lie, like most people would to qualify...

....and who actually makes purchases later.

This really won't provide that data, I would think most don't order through MicroChipDirect. Or at least I don't. Since when I place orders, Which I do a couple times a month for the kits that I sell, I like to get everything from one source, be it Mouser, Newark, Jameco, Futurlec, etc. They carry all the small parts, like the caps, resistors and transistors.

Ordering direct from Microchip might yield better price per chip, but the extra shipping charge negates any benefits.

I do agree that this is a step they did need to take. I don't mind paying the $7.50 shipping charge, and if means the program will continue, than so be it. Hopefully it will cut down on the abuse of the system.

Brian

Last edited:
I agree Brian. $7.50 is a good price. Also on the fact that most people like to save and by shopping in 1 place shipping can be reduced.

I also think that by charging for sample(shipping at least) they save money that can be used for R&D or some thing else.

I have never ordered samples from Microchip but i plan on soon. And even if they only allowed 2 samples @ 2 piece max. (4 samples) i would be happy. People order samples not only to get free items(or less charged) but also to FULLY test before buying...

BUT... you have to remember its called a sample for testing... even before abuse you have to think maybe people sampled and it didnt fit there criteria .. its not only abuse.. abuse... maybe many just didnt research and tried items that was obviously wrong but they didnt take the time to figure it out before they sampled.

Just my opinion. :D

In the US it will be less expensive to buy lower end chips from Newark. Their prices are very close to Microchp Direct and you can roll in other parts to make the shipping reasonable. They tend to have good prices on parts from specific vendors not so great on others, but still less then Digikey.

Newark is part of the Farnell, perhaps you can get similar prices from Farnell outside the US?

The one warning I have about Newark. I do not think they have a trash pickup service. They ship it to their customers. Seriously expect bags in boxes in bags sort of thing. Greater shipping weight then expected.

Last edited:
ive bought from newark and heh i had same experience but when they ship they ship! i get my orders in a max of 3 DAYS! i can order today and have it friday or saterday the latest.

I like there site also. Easy to navigate and good prices. Also like the fact that they have like a New Company/product/info area.

Only drawback for US customers is the "Farnell UK Direct Ship":

Farnell UK Direct ShipIn-stock Farnell Direct Ship products will ship from UK in 5-7 business days to destinations within the continental United States.

A $20 per order service charge applies for all Farnell products in lieu of a frieght charge. - Non-Cancelable/Non-Returnable
Handling Fee $20 per order
Delivery within 7 business days

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back