Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip Samples

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorGuy

Has anyone here ordered samples from Microchip? If so how fast were they sending them?. Were you able to use them in a prototype or just try them out? Or are they non working chips?

GatorGuy said:
Has anyone here ordered samples from Microchip? If so how fast were they sending them?. Were you able to use them in a prototype or just try them out? Or are they non working chips?

There are fully working chips, exactly as you would buy - they usually take around a week or so - depending where they are dispatched from.

However, due to abuse of the service, there are a number of countries they will no longer supply samples to!.

GatorGuy said:
The chips are absolutely OK (I can't imagine why would they ship demaged chips :lol: ). I live in Slovakia EU, and it takes around 3 weeks to deliver them, that's freaking long. They re-enabled samples support here at the beginning of the year (Banned due to previous Abuse) so I ordered couple of them. Keep in mind: Do not order tons of samples! or they will stop shipping them to your country, and that sucks.

also be truthfull, if ur using them for a prototype educational kit, make sure thats what u put down.

The worst they can say is no, but if u get caught on the hop with a phone call asking how things are going then u could get 'banned' from sampling.

I've not had phone calles from them, but i know a few people who have. They do check up from time to time ;)

Order what you need , not what you want. If you abuse the service, I will hunt you down :evil:

they cut service entirely to australia, because of a bunch of morons being told what the chips can do, when they (1) dont know how to program them (2) dont have a programer (3) have very basic, little or no elctronics knowledge whatsoever.

Do NOT abuse the service, read the data sheet for the specs before ordering.

This is no flaming post, when you abuse the service, then i'll show you what true faming is!! :evil:

pike said:
Order what you need , not what you want. If you abuse the service, I will hunt you down :evil:

they cut service entirely to australia, because of a bunch of morons being told what the chips can do, when they (1) dont know how to program them (2) dont have a programer (3) have very basic, little or no elctronics knowledge whatsoever.

Do NOT abuse the service, read the data sheet for the specs before ordering.

This is no flaming post, when you abuse the service, then i'll show you what true faming is!! :evil:
LOL That's very True 8)
Respect their rulez amd you are safe...

saying that, i have about 12 different types of PIC through samples.

BUT i have used most of them at some time or another :D lol

For the most part I would only order samples for testing them to make sure they fit what I want. And I would only order 1 of each type that fit what I need. How many PICS did that one group order? I would think it would be a large amount to get banned.

rumours say it had reached something like 250+ orders a day all from another forum which i wont name. All under Australia. = Banned for 2 years!!

So that's the reason I can't register then Pike, although it show's Australia in the country box it won't save my profile. Looks like I'll have to find a mate in a country that microchip will send samples as I refuse to pay $27 for a 16f877a chip :evil:

bryan1 said:
So that's the reason I can't register then Pike, although it show's Australia in the country box it won't save my profile. Looks like I'll have to find a mate in a country that microchip will send samples as I refuse to pay $27 for a 16f877a chip :evil:
Holy crap, 27$ is a ripoff, that's so freaking expensive. Where did you find that price?

well that price came out of an electronics cataloge. Nearly everything in Oz is way over priced, take solar panels for example a few American mates complain if they pay more than $5 a watt but we pay around $20-$25 a watt, and who said we aren't the most overtaxed country in the world.

dont go there, ehem, brittain, ehem 75% of what we pay for fuel is tax:

If a litre of unleaded petrol costs 85p, 21.7p will be the production costs and profit, around 51p will be duty and 12.5p will be VAT on top of all that.

bryan1 said:
well that price came out of an electronics cataloge. Nearly everything in Oz is way over priced, take solar panels for example a few American mates complain if they pay more than $5 a watt but we pay around $20-$25 a watt, and who said we aren't the most overtaxed country in the world.
Wow I thought my country is the most expensive :shock:

But the feeling of expensivness depends on your states Average Sallary. Here it is around 2$ per hour, so I have to work 1 hour just to buy one 12F683, and that's a lot! :evil:

colegue just received few free samples from Microchip.
samples ware sent from US and the shipmnet charge was only $4.
the other order had free samples and couple of chips he paid for.
they came from Malaisia and shipment charge was something around
$40-50.

panic mode said:
colegue just received few free samples from Microchip.
samples ware sent from US and the shipmnet charge was only $4.
the other order had free samples and couple of chips he paid for.
they came from Malaisia and shipment charge was something around
$40-50.
Wow, pretty expensive...

Aren't samples free of postage fees there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back