Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MicroChip PIC16F873 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreekenBiker

Hello All,

I have a project that calls for a PIC16F873 uC. The hex code and C source code is provided. I have done a bit of C for regular PC apps, I have not done any PIC programming except a couple beginner experiments with a BasicStamp Kit, so I am not sure of what I need. I would be interested in getting a MicroChip StarterKit but it looks as if it is limited to 20 pin chips.

Since the PIC16F873 is a 'mature' product, MicroChip recommends a PIC16F883 for new designs. Looking at the pins, the layout is different. I was wondering if the HEX code also would be different.

So, can anyone make some recommendations concerning the appropriate programmer for the chip the design calls for and would that programmer limit me if I wanted to later develop for USB enabled chips. Or is there a way to have the chip flashed by someone else, and then get a programmer for chips with more capabilities.

Ken

Hi,

As you will see looking around this forum - the Pickit 2 programmer is what you need now and in the future.
There are a couple of versions with the demo boards which as you have seen are limiting.

Just buy the base Pickit2 programmer - code PG164120 - you then just need a 0.1" six way male connector to your own circuit board - again as shown in detail on some very recent threads.

Hi,

As you will see looking around this forum - the Pickit 2 programmer is what you need now and in the future.
There are a couple of versions with the demo boards which as you have seen are limiting.

Just buy the base Pickit2 programmer - code PG164120 - you then just need a 0.1" six way male connector to your own circuit board - again as shown in detail on some very recent threads.

So if I understand correctly, I actually mount the chip to be programmed on the PC board that the 6 way connector is mounted on?

KP

I would be interested in getting a MicroChip StarterKit but it looks as if it is limited to 20 pin chips.
Buy it. Great intro to PICS, with lots of demo code and tutorials out there. Don't let the 20 pins fool ya, lots of capability, including USB with the new 18f14K50 chips. With some small modifications AND CAUTION (D+, D- share PGD and PGC pins), the "standard" LPCB (low pin count board) can be running the Microchip LPCB USB demos. Soon? there will be the 18F14K22 chips that will fill the 20 pin slot too.

Since the PIC16F873 is a 'mature' product, MicroChip recommends a PIC16F883 for new designs. Looking at the pins, the layout is different. I was wondering if the HEX code also would be different.
As mentioned, just put the required chip on a breadboard and burn it there, I think Futz has some pics and tutorials on his site for that.

So if I understand correctly, I actually mount the chip to be programmed on the PC board that the 6 way connector is mounted on?

Yes, thats one way called ICSP - the simplest way is to dedicate the 3 programming pins to the icsp socket but you can in some situations include other circuitry on those lines.

Download the free Microchips Pickit2 User Guide - it has full deatils of that and the starter kits.

Thank you

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses. Soon as I get a chance I will order the Programmer. I'll probably be back with questions,

Thanks again,

KP

It's possible but not probable that hex code for a 16F873 will work on a 16F883. If you have access to the source code then this document list the changes needed.

I would also recommend a Pickit2 or clone.

Mike.

high guys i need help with code to run a 5v unipolar stepper motor driving with uln2003 and controlling it with pic 16f873

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back