Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip MRF24J40MA Zigbee/RF Module

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried the MRF24J40MA Microchip rf modules? Outside of burning a lot of pins to make it run (SPI + others up to 7 pins) it seems reasonably priced. Also curious about how easy it is to throw the Zigbee or MiWi stack, any gotcha's or glitches along the way?

It appears that a couple of male 0.100" headers is all that is needed to mount this device, unlike the XBee's 2mm, which adds a whole 'nother dimension to prototyping. At half the price of the XBee's, is there more to consider?

Not sure, I'll have to order one as the SPI and price are appealing. I have XBee Pro devices and if it works with them I may put one in a thermostat design I'm working on.

Have to hand it to XBee, on the out of box, transparent serial comms. Also have a couple of the std XBee's with the little whip antenna. So, I guess I wouldn't have to buy two of the Microchip (with Zigbee stack) modules, good idea. That would give me a direct comparison between the two, and chip vs. whip antenna.

Good luck with your Cricket thermostat controller. What seems so easy on the surface, isn't so easy implementing. If remote rf sensors worked out, then there is yet another kit for you...:eek:.

Well thats good to know, looks like I will have to cough up for two modules. Shouldn't have thought it as a drop in replacement I guess, like an RS232, so much for the Zigbee alliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back