Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip library for eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

nclark

Hi, I've just started using eagle for my PCB and schematic designs but the microchip library just sucks, many of the 16F series are not listed and most of the 18F neither. I downloaded the microchip2 library from the eagle site but it's almost the same as the one in the package.

Does anyone have a complete microchip library for eagle?

I don't have a library for you, but one thing that Microchip is very good at is keeping pinouts common for many of their parts going back many generations. Check to see if what you have is similar to an existing Eagle library part.

I don't know if you've tried Eagle's library editor, but it is fairly simple once you try a few parts.

Make your own, it's not tough. Also all the 28 pin controller are mostly the same for pinouts so the old PIC16 28 pin parts in the Eagle lib are not too far off. Same for 40 pin.

Regrettably Eagle is very very bad for the way it did libraries and basically impossible to upgrade. Very, very bad lib management! Consider the case where you add a PIC18F4620 component to "microchip" library. If you upgrade to the next version of Eagle you overwrite the "microchip" lib entirely and lose your PIC18F4620. So you'd have to keep your old one, and there's no straightforward way to merge them. Manual copying is quite tedious and even error-prone. Thus Eagle can't really release an updated version of "microchip" nor can you accept someone else's "microchip" lib without kicking out your own changes. As far as I know Eagle is just not updating these libs.

But, let me say I do like Eagle despite the issues. It's very effective.

The conclusion I reached was it's a better idea to make your own "my_components" library, or at least copy "microchip" to "my_microchip" and modify that one.

Microchip PIC16F723

we are developing a switch by using the Microchip PIC16F723, if any guys interest to help, please let me know.
Peter

hi

Don't forget, you can recreate a lib or multiple lib from your design using the ulp "exp-project-lbr.ulp" This way you will not loose the library component you created

you could go to the Cadsoft site and download the libraries there. the URL is . They have a lot of user created components there and updated libraries for the different components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back