Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

micro pic input

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay543_uk

This may be a stupid question but here goes, What is the smallest current required on a micro pic input pin for it to work. say i was using a 16f876a and had a 5v input from a transistor onto rb1, how much current would the pic be drawing on that pin??

The reason i ask is because iv been reading up on transistors and i have a few ideas on a circuit i would like to make, it would mean using a transistor in a common emitter format and from what i can see i need to no Ic current required to work out what resistors to set the bias ect.

Am i right in thinking that Rc resistor would also control the current on the output of the transistor

sorry if this is a stupid one but i had to ask.

jason

I don't know if there is a spec for that. The I/O pin senses applied voltage when set to high impedence (i.e. an input). The data sheet defines input leak current as 1µA so it's probably not higher than that if it's necessary at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back