Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Micro low rpm/stepper motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altanore

Anyone know where I could find very small low RPM motors or very small stepper motors?

The only perfect ones I found were from companies that do distribution only.

Thanks!

Anyone know where I could find very small low RPM motors or very small stepper motors?

The only perfect ones I found were from companies that do distribution only.

Thanks!

It would help if you could define what you mean by "very small" and "low RPM". Your hoped-for dimensions and speeds would be good. :)

Torben

Hi HarveyH42:
Ican't make the G14197 motor to work. I,m new on this, can you provide your schematics? I will really apreciate your help.
Please reply to: usache@yahoo.com

Gracias!

Can be used as a turbine/generator?

Also it is a permanant magnet motor?
It is a motor and does not include a turbine.

If you do mount a suitable wind turbine or fan to it, you probably could light a few LEDs in a high wind.

It is not a DC motor. It requires circuitry to run. Read carefully at the Goldmine website for suggested circuits.

Altanore, a good place for small steppers is DVD/CD and old floppy drives. The motor that drives the pickup assembly back and forth is a stepper, very small.

Altanore, a good place for small steppers is DVD/CD and old floppy drives. The motor that drives the pickup assembly back and forth is a stepper, very small.

To clarify, you get steppers in old floppy drives, usually uni-polar in 5.25 inch ones, and bi-polar (and mechanically not very useful) in 3.5 inch ones.

You don't get steppers in DVD drives, CD drives, or HDD's - steppers would be far too slow, and unable to track the fine data.

HDD's probably not, but the motors that drive the average CD/DVD optical head are small steppers, I've taken several dozen apart.

HDD's probably not, but the motors that drive the average CD/DVD optical head are small steppers, I've taken several dozen apart.

I've taken various ones apart, and never seen a stepper in one - has anyone else?.

A stepper isn't very suitable for that use, DC motors are used in every one I've ever seen, and the VERY oldest CD Players even used linear motors for the job - but that didn't last long, much too expensive.

EDIT: - just had a thought, are you sure you're not been confused by brushless DC motors?.

Last edited:
I Google CD/DVD drives and find many references to steppers in them. Why aren't they accurate enough? Feeding a stepper from a decent sine wave source and they're smooth as glass. I'm really pretty sure they're steppers. I don't think I have any floating around right now but I might have a junk CD floating around I can scrap to find out. Should only take a few seconds with a multimeter to figure out if it's DC brushless or a stepper. I could be mistaken though, I never noticed any feedback from the brushless motors though how would you accuratly control their position, I don't recall seeing encoders anywhere, but I usually just gut them for the spindle motors.

I Google CD/DVD drives and find many references to steppers in them. Why aren't they accurate enough? Feeding a stepper from a decent sine wave source and they're smooth as glass.

A stepper moves in a series of discrete steps, no matter what you feed it, you certainly couldn't call then 'as smooth as glass'.

I'm really pretty sure they're steppers. I don't think I have any floating around right now but I might have a junk CD floating around I can scrap to find out. Should only take a few seconds with a multimeter to figure out if it's DC brushless or a stepper.

You don't need a meter (and I don't see how that would tell the difference anyway?), just rotate the motor with your fingers, a stepper will go round in a series of distinct steps, a brushless motor will go round smoothly.

I could be mistaken though, I never noticed any feedback from the brushless motors though how would you accuratly control their position, I don't recall seeing encoders anywhere, but I usually just gut them for the spindle motors.

There is no encoder, and no need for one, it's positioned by feedback from the actual disk from the laser assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back