Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Micro-controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

smudgepost

There are so-many micro controllers for experimenters and hobbyists, ARDUINO, Parallax, Texas Instruments, Microchip.. Think it's probably best to work with one. But which? Any suggestions? Any favourites, if so why?

It depends on the need. If you are a beginner I would suggest using the arduino, because its targeted group is beginners. Also, the arduino is a development platform, not a microcontroller by it self. It runs on atmel's AtMega168/328 uC.

It seems, to me, that many people (like me) plump for one (I chose PICs) and then build up knowledge on that (slowly) and haven't got time to compare and contrast to a great degree. It's much like choosing a language (regardless of microcontrollers)... if you want to program something you, quite possibly, will end up choosing a language and then you might end up doing most of your future programming tasks in that language... unless it's totally unsuitable, of course.

For me, I quite like PICs... and I quite like JAL with PICs. There could definitely be more support out there, but there is some, and it's helpful. PICs are cheap, there are many different types, suiting many different requirements and they're pretty cheap. JAL is free... and, although I have done plenty of 8086 assembler in the past, I fancied a higher level language while dipping my toe into this water.

If others have had the time to fully compare and contrast what is out there, outlining pros and cons, then it could be an interesting thread.

Last edited:
A very reasoned response thank you. I have heard of JAL. Interest was originally raised by the Parallax stamp. Although expensive, the code can be loaded onto one of their cheaper chips providing the best of both worlds, a development platform and a moderately inexpensive SX one-use chip.

Last edited:
As an alternative to the Basic Stamp, look at

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back