Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

micro-controller package

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixy

Hi,

what package type do you guys use for prototyping.

I just order some PIC, PDIP package. I think it's more suitable for bread-board design.

If I order one of those socketable PIC, what's the easiest way to find their socket(dealer and part number)? Is it true that in general, any 8 pin chip will fit in an 8 pin socket?

phoenixy said:
Hi,

what package type do you guys use for prototyping.

I just order some PIC, PDIP package. I think it's more suitable for bread-board design.

If I order one of those socketable PIC, what's the easiest way to find their socket(dealer and part number)? Is it true that in general, any 8 pin chip will fit in an 8 pin socket?

Yes, a DIL socket is a DIL socket!, where it gets a little tricky is the 16F876, which is a 28 pin 'skinny DIP' package. I can get turned pin sockets in that shape, but not my usual low profile ones - so I simply use two 14 pin ones end to end.

With all my prototype PIC's I fit the chip with a turned pin socket, this makes it easy to plug in and out of the target board, and protects the PIC pins. If you happen to break a pin off the turned pin socket, you can easily replace the socket - but I've never broken one yet, and I've been using them for many years!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back