Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mic pre-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoGilles

Hi all,

I'm currently designing a balanced mic preamp for a project. My two major constraints are
1) I work with 0-5VDC single supply.
2) I want phantom power (48VDC)

From the datasheets I've read, and from what I found on the Web, here is what I have so far.

PreAmp question.png

Any comments, suggestions, about my design ?

I especially want to validate the following:

1) I plan on using the AD623 Inst. op-amp. Good ? Bad ? Ok ?

2) As shown in the diagram, the total gain of my design can vary from +20dB to +60dB. Is that enough ? Should I get it all from the inst. op-amp and forget about the extra gain stages of my codec ?

3) Is my DC coupling from 48V to 0V to 2.5V using 47uF caps ok ? Should I look into transformer coupling instead ?

4) Are the diode bridge and limiting 10Ω resistors ok to protect the op-amp from the 48V phantom power ?

Thanks a lot !
Any comment will be appreciated !

Th AD623 is far to noisy for a mic pre. Go for the INA217 or THAT1512. Unfortunately they require a higher rail voltage. I did a design using the Murata NDTD series DC-DC converter (5v to +/- 15V). You will need 45 to 65dB of gain. Have a look at the datasheets and app notes of the parts I mentioned for phantom power and input protection.
Using the DC-DC converter will also give you the phantom power as most condensor mics will work down to 12 V. E

Thanks for all the part suggestions. I've been looking at all that but that proves to be a challenge. I'm in total lack of space !! And the DC-DC converter is quite large (24 DIP). But I'll keep reworking the circuit.

But I'm still wondering if there are any decent instrumentation op-amps out there that would work in single supply and still have good noise characteristics ?

Thanks !

Sorry, I gave you the wrong part# for the DC to DC. It is VASD1-S5-D12(or 15)-SIP, .25"x.8"x.4". About $8 from Digikey. E

Thanks ! I was actually looking at those smaller part, indeed !

Did you see the other question I posted ? I was wondering about the quality of the output of such a converter for audio. Do they need special filtering/regulation of are the outputs "clean" and "quiet" enough to power the audio circuit directly ? Any idea on that ?

THanks !
TG

I use a .1 cer. and a 1u tantalum close to the +/- output pins and have no problems. A lot depends on the pc layout though. Good luck TG! E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back