Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mic Bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

I have had this idiotic idea in my head for a very long time now. When chatting on MIC in video games, Skype, or w/e application. Is it possible to connect output sound from my sound card directly into the MIC port and will the other person hear the sounds that supposed to come out of the audio out port? The reason I want to do this is in hopes of increasing sound quality. For instance, during a counter-strike game I can turn on some really annoying music and have every 1 hear it (unless ppl will mute me or me getting kicked by admin). Computer Mic's have terrible quality, so I was thinking that if sound signal goes directly into MIC port, the quality of the sound should stay descent. Or will it?

Just another random thought of the day LOL...

Thanks for taking your time to read another BS post.

Last edited:
Your computer probably has a LINE input. More likely to match the usual sources of music.

The MIC input expects quite a low level, is monophonic, and one of the terminals has a DC bias (usually 5V through a few k ohms) on it.

The output level from your sound card is way too high to feed into a low level mic input and will need two or three resistors added as an attenuator.

Some sound cards have this option built in. It is called "Stereo Mix" on some cards and is usually enabled something like this:
Right click on your speaker icon in the tray and choose "Adjust audio properties"
Then click on the "Audio" tab and then "Volume" under sound recording.
Then "Options", then "Properties", select mixer device as "line/mic in" and make sure "Stereo Mix" is there and has a check mark next to it.
Now your music should "mix" with your mic input signal via the sound card.

Goodbye nice-sounding stereo and hello lousy-sounding mono.
I guess for a stupid game it is OK.

Thanks a lot !

Thanks for letting me know bout the options available in my sound card menu. I just found out that I have "What you hear" parameter that does exactly what I wanted.

MUHAHA now the ppl in CS will have to listen to some old classics like Scott Joplin. I hope they enjoy it because I certainly do…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back