Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MgO and Dielectric layers in plasma displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec123

Hi,

I am currently doing some research into plasma displays and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on my difficutly on understanding some of the layers that make up a plasma display panel.....

From my own understanding the MgO layer is used to stop sputtering (atoms in a solid material are ejected into the gas due to bombardment of the material by energetic ions (plasma)) as these atoms cause damage to the phosphor layer.

So is the MgO layer protecting the sustain electrodes? (bus and transparent electrodes at front of panel)

Also, why is the dielectric layer used? what material is this generally made out of?

I fully understand the operation of plasma displays, just can't grasp these layers in the cell structure.

Please see attached diagram.

Any help on this would be of great help

Thanks

elec123

Attachments

• structure.JPG
    structure.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,151
You probably know more than me but, I think the dielectric lay also helps minimise sputter. I'm guessing that each cell is powered from a high frequency AC waveform and the gas is capacitivly coupled to the electrodes on the screen surface. This is probably similar to how an induction lamp works, or holding a fluroescent tube neer a Tesla coil.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Hero999 said:
I'm guessing that each cell is powered from a high frequency AC waveform and the gas is capacitivly coupled to the electrodes on the screen surface.

This is correct, still not sure bout the exact roles of the MgO layer and the Dielectric layer, anyone else here that can help?

A lot of my research online just takes me to journal sites that you need to sign up to at a cost, which is very frustrating!!

The MgO is needed to provide protection from electrons or ions emitted by the discharge of the gas to the rest of the structure. The dielectric layer on top of that is there because MgO is slightly conductive, and it would be problematic for the electrodes above.

Its almost like a domino effect, layer on layer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back