Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Members List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papabravo

What happened to the Members List Button. It seems to have fallen off the edge of the ...something.

Ahem..The members list. Where did it go? Why is it disabled?
I didn't get the memo on this one.

I'm curious to know why the administrator has disabled the members list. I'm even more curious to know why he refuses to answer my reasonable question. Whatsa matta - you don't wanna go there?

Think of a member list as a potential hit list. Cults don't give out memberlists, and neither do we!

That's really not an answer since it ignores the fact that the information associated with a member list is pretty much anonymous. You get to choose what information is in a profile.

So I'm curious, what do you know about me besides the content of my public profile?

I actually don't mind it being taken down. Here's my reasoning; many people will use the same "name" on several boards, ( maybe it wise, maybe it's not ) even the same avatar and signature. What can happen with this is that say one member of a board takes issue with another member, ( sometimes one or both get suspended or banned ). Sometimes one party gets disgruntled over the whole ordeal and decides to follow the other around in stalking them cyberspace, hassling them and making a general nuisance of themselves.

Sure, many search engines will turn up a few individual member entries on messageboards, but without a members list, it is not as easy for bots or others to troll.

I appreciate what you are saying, but is that your take on the issue or is it the consensus of the board administrators?

On my board, access to the member list is only allowed by forum members. Bots are guests, and members are validated via email, referrals and IPs.

Bots and visitors don't have access to a lot of things on my board for privacy issues, but those who are members have special privileges.

It's just my opinion Papabravo, I have no idea if it applies here or not. I have seen this happen on other boards tho.

Bear in mind, the 'members list' didn't just vanish - it never reappeared following the move to VBulletin - does VBulletin perhaps not support it?.

Or perhaps the Administrator decided not to enable it?, it's hardly a very useful feature?.

The members list was definitely available up until just before my original post on this topic that I made at the end of June. I don't remember this forum using anything but vBulletin since I've joined back in March. Please understand that I have no position on the matter one way ot the other, but I am curious about the logic or the reasoning behind the decision. I did enjoy browsing the list for interesting avatars however.

Last edited:
Papabravo said:
The members list was definitely available up until just before my original post on this topic that I made at the end of June. I don't remember this forum using anything but vBulletin since I've joined back in March. Please understand that I have no position on the matter one way ot the other, but I am curious about the logic or the reasoning behind the decision. I did enjoy browsing the list for interesting avatars however.

If you check here https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/the-big-update-new-site-software.21209/ you will see that the changeover happened on 2nd May.

Eh Articfox last week I joined your forum and after a week I'm still waiting for the conformation e-mail. I remember seeing a message saying it wouldn't take long before I could start posting.

Hope you can clear this up mate

Cheers Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back