Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MegaCoreX on ATMega4808 getting milis/micros to work with 20MHz clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

riccardo

Hello,

I have a 4808 running Arduino code using the MegaCoreX library. If I run the chip with its internal 20MHz oscillator, millis and micros run too fast. I have tried setting a #define F_CPU value, but it doesn't help.

It works fine if I set the clock to 16MHz, but it would be great if I could use that extra bit of speed the chip is capable of. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Just spent some hours on the same issue, so in case anyone else stumbles into this:

The base frequency of the internal RC oscillator can only be controlled via the OSCCFG fuse, therefore changing F_CPU between a 16MHz-derived value and a 20MHz-derived value (see the table here) requires reprogramming the fuses.

If you flash a firmware compiled with F_CPU based on a different oscillator frequency, and forget updating OSCCFG, only the clock prescaler will be set -- so you get a +/- 25% error in timekeeping.

Wish this was documented somewhere...

The problem is that you get a timekeeping error even if you have both the fuse and F_CPU set to 20MHz. I don't understand well enough the code Nigel posted in order to see if there's any way to compensate other than doing it in the main program anywhere a timer is used.

Then I guess we're having different problems....

I tested the example below with MegaCoreX 1.0.9 and F_CPU set to 8, 10, 16 and 20MHz:

C:
void setup() {
  pinMode(PIN_PA7, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  static unsigned long savedSecond = 0;
  static bool l = true;

unsigned long second = millis() / 1000;

if (second != savedSecond) {
    digitalWriteFast(PIN_PA7, l = !l);
    savedSecond = second;
  }

}

In all cases I'm getting a 0.501 Hz square wave on PA7, well within the accuracy of the internal RC oscillator.

The code linked above is in the Arduino AVR core, it has nothing to do with MegaCoreX

How much fast is "too fast"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back