Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mechanically timed switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fitz

Hey guys. I'm new to the forums. I had a question and googled "electronics forums" and this is what I got. So hopefully someone can help me out. Basically I'm looking for a mechanically timed switch. Sort of like a push button switch that would slowly come up after being pressed and would maintain a connection for a set amount of seconds. Or better yet just stay down for a few seconds then pop back up.

An example would be a push button switch for a light bulb. When you press the button down the light bulb turns on. I'd like a switch that I could press down and then release, and the switch would keep the light on for 5 seconds before it turns off. I know there are electronic solutions out there, but I'm looking for a simple mechanical one. Preferably a small one. I'm not a super electrician or anything and excuse me if there is something simple that exists that fits my needs perfectly. The extent of my knowledge is what I see on the Radio Shack shelves.

So if someone here could help me, I'd be super appreciative.

What voltage and current are you switching with the timer?

I have no idea. The wires won't be used for electrical current (I don't think). It's going to be used as a disconnect switch on a Cat 5e Ethernet cable.

I have no idea. The wires won't be used for electrical current (I don't think). It's going to be used as a disconnect switch on a Cat 5e Ethernet cable.

So does that mean you have to make/break all eight conductors?

No. The end plan is to get a nice case and have two RJ45 jacks on it where two patch cables would be plugged. Then inside the case have a single wire running to the switch while the other 7 have straight through connections. But first I'd like to just strip down a wire and untwist one of the 4 twisted pairs and run a single cable through the switch. If that doesn't achieve my end result then yeah, I'm gonna have to find a way to use a single switch to temporarily break the connection on all 8 wires.

I could easily do this with a On/Off switch or some sort of momentary switch, however I'd have to press the switch twice to disconnect then reconnect the wire. I was hoping for some sort of mechanical timer, like a mini hydraulic arm that would only let the switch move up slowly. Or some sort of tension spring that doesn't pop straight back up but instead uncoils at a much slower speed. If I can't find something like that I'll shell out more money for an electronic timer switch (if I can find one), but hopefully it won't come to that. From the research I've done so far it actually seems that what I want isn't a common thing... though it certainly seemed like it to me.

use a reed relay with a capacitor across the coil. set up the switch to energize the coil. then when you turn it off the charge of the capacitor will keep it going for a few seconds. you will most likely need several ultracapacitors in series to get the voltage.
i think depending on the relay 3x 1 farad capacitors should be perfect although the delay might be a little long.

the relay coil will use up about10ma of power so you might want to look into electronic or mechanical.

or use a normally closed relay and charge the capacitor through a resistor. the cap will act like a short until its charged and short the relay coil for a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back